KISSlicer 1.6 Beta Bug Reports

Ultim - Yoann

Re: KISSlicer 1.6 Beta Bug Reports

Post by Ultim - Yoann »

Hello everyone,

That's a good news !

This is probably not a major bug but the height "Z" in kisslicer does not seem to be precisely the one present in the generated Gcode.

If I remember correctly it was also in the preceeding versions.

Yoann (French guy :? )
funBart

Post by funBart »

I don't think it was like this with previous KS versions, but when multiplying objects it would be nice all was centered (see example above 20):
2017-07-05_01-23-09.jpg
2017-07-05_01-24-24.jpg
2017-07-05_01-24-46.jpg
2017-07-05_01-24-57.jpg
2017-07-05_01-25-08.jpg

And if outside the build volume it would be signaled.
2017-07-05_01-26-00.jpg
Bart ter Haar
CraftBot PLUS support: https://www.CraftBot.nl
funBart

Post by funBart »

About UI logic, support and layer height:

If you want to make it a little more simple (KISS), some thoughts:

The overstep function is great! Maybe you saw the Prusa edition of Slic3R, that able to define variable heights by had, also with a min and max. But you have to edit that min and max positions by hand. KS is now already 10 steps further. Now printing the first test.

Maybe now the relation between tabs is not so clear anymore.
What I would think: most people have a printer with a specific nozzle size. They almost never change it. I think the Pathwidth belongs to the printer profile and nozzle size. Some of my customers (and I) have more printers and they have different nozzle size mounted.

So maybe the base can be the nozzle size, pathwidth in the printer profile. Other nozzle size: than you make a new printer profile.
Belonging to that nozzle size in general: one can change the pathwidth a little: maybe +/- 25%.

The new overstep function is aiming at reducing the support structure. That's also dependent of the printer type and nozzle size.
IMO: to the printer profile and nozzle size there is a min layer height a printer/nozzle can print and a max layer height.
Most printers are capable to print layers from 0.05mm until 0.8mm depending the nozzle size.

With a certain nozzle size there is an optimum for layer height. FE with 0.4mm nozzle the min height is 0.1mm and the max 0.3mm
With a 0.2mm nozzle 0.05min and 0.15mm max
with a 1.0mm nozzle 0.2 min and 0.7mm max. It's often 25% of the nozzle size as min layer and 75% of the nozzle size as max layer.

I think that values belong to the printer tab.

Now, with that in mind I think the support tab can be invisible (not the raft / pillar / brim function, but the rest).
If so that would be much more KISS.

As you can define the generation of support because of settings of the min and max layer height regarding to nozzle size. For example a 0.4mm nozzle size.(or path width)

unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg (45.26 KiB) Viewed 2430 times

Given a min layer height there is a threshold were support needs to be generated. For example with 0.1mm min height it's needed from 37,6 degrees.

For all combinations between nozzle size (or path width) and the given min layer height there is an exact angle from were the support structure needs to be generated.

Free thinking: with that in mind the min and max layer height belong actually to the support tab, and not the style of printer tab. ;-)

So when using a switch on the style tab: using stepping over / var layer height or not : than on the support tab there are the original values visible, or the settings belong to nozzle size / path width and min / max layer height.

With dynamic layers / stepping over checked on the style tab only the basic functions remain as
skin thickness,
stacked layers
infill %
seam

I would add to it (and removing it from the support tab):
Brim settings
Prime pillar
Raft as check box, as the settings can stay on the support tab as they are to intense

For me: I would remove all the min max speed settings from the Printer tab / the slider on the style tab.

I would only put the speed settings on the style tab as they are, so:
perimeter speed
loop speed
solid infill speed
support speed
infill speed
travel speed

Z speed / raft speed etc can stay at the printer tab

The flow tweaks as they are also affecting speed still great on the material tab.

I'm happy to think further about it, when you think some make sense to reshuffle.

Anyway, with the above in mind and KISS:

The user downloads or make the obvious printer settings and forget it
with a specific nozzle mounted he adjust all on the support tab and forgets it
he downloads or set material values

And the important tweaks, switches, speeds are only to be set on the styletab.
Bart ter Haar
funBart

Post by funBart »

When you load multiple stl's on the KS bed, than each one gets sliced according the min and max step over set set on the style tab. That's already great, as it saves a lot of time this way!

But when you load a single stl (with a lot of islands or objects) than it's sliced with the threshold set on the style tab for all objects, with the min / max threshold aplied for all.

Of course it's a question of the hungry Caterpillar, but for the future it would be nice that the min/max layer of the stepover would be applied to each single mesh, or -better?- to each individual print island.
Bart ter Haar
funBart

Post by funBart »

It seems that when setting the min layer somewhat higher there is also a Z elevation applied. Also some slow start for that layer that's under the min layer threshold.

Hereunder the differences between two gcodes with the only difference the min layer. First 2 second min layer time.
The second 10 seconds min layer time.

Of course it's good when the min layer time is causing the speed to slow down. but when too slow, than it's not good either as the nozzle is radiating to much heat to the print.
It seems that the min layer time now is causing slowing down and above a threshold also is causing a Z lift.
But if so, than a setting for that would be nice, as it's
1: causing a Z elevation, but not enough
2: causing some inconsistent print speed
5mmmms.jpg
20mmms.jpg
Bart ter Haar
inventabuild

Post by inventabuild »

1.6 Beta 1.1 - Under Extruding / Strange Behavior

Pic 1 1.6 Beta 1.1 - Top of Heart - Strange Behavior
IMG_5322.JPG
Pic 2 1.6 Beta 1.1 - Side of Heart - Strange Behavior
IMG_5323.JPG
1.5 Release - Beautiful Prints

Pic 3 1.5 Release - Top of Heart - Nice Finish
IMG_5319.JPG
Pic 4 1.5 Release - Side of Heart - Nice Layers
IMG_5320.JPG
Side By Side Comparison

Pic 5 - 1.6 Beta 1.1 is much thinner than 1.5 Release
IMG_5327.JPG
KISSlicer 1.6 Beta 1.1 Settings

Pic 6 - 1.6 Beta 1.1 Style Settings
1.6Beta1.1-Style.JPG
1.6Beta1.1-Style.JPG (76.7 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
Pic 7 - 1.6 Beta 1.1 Material Settings
1.6Beta1.1-Material.JPG
1.6Beta1.1-Material.JPG (78.86 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
The first few layers of 1.6 Beta 1.1 come out nice and then it starts going crazy. Any idea if this is a bug in KISSlicer 1.6 Beta 1.1 or a settings issue?
Olivier13

Post by Olivier13 »

Hi
Some bug :
  • with more than 2 loop, and with "Perimeter after inner loop", KS only do one inner loop before
    the perimeter loop
  • Prime Pillar is affected by the brim option, and the grid under the brim of the pillar do not "match"
  • (perhaps a "fake bug") there is two Prime Pillar :shock:
brim pillar.PNG
Printer : A4v3 From 3ntr - 2 Extruders.
http://www.additec.fr
pjr

Post by pjr »

inventabuild wrote:1.6 Beta 1.1 - Under Extruding / Strange Behavior

The first few layers of 1.6 Beta 1.1 come out nice and then it starts going crazy. Any idea if this is a bug in KISSlicer 1.6 Beta 1.1 or a settings issue?
Any chance of uploading the STL and I will do a test print to check if it is a settings or slicer issue.

Thanks

Peter
pjr

Post by pjr »

funBart wrote:It seems that when setting the min layer somewhat higher there is also a Z elevation applied. Also some slow start for that layer that's under the min layer threshold.
Hi Bart

Apologies, I am really having difficulties summarising some of your bug reports. Sorry... Please let me know if my summaries are incorrect.

Yes, when the print cannot be slowed sufficiently (due to minimum volume settings) and the layer time exceeds the min layer time, there is a pause with the nozzle raised and I get significant oozing during the pause even with preload and destring happening during the pause. I think this was also in 1.5, but the problem is that the pause may be unnecessary when multiple objects are being printed or when multiple extruders are in use- I think the pause is being calculated on a per mode/per extruder basis.

Peter
plexus
Site Admin

Post by plexus »

Just tried 1.6 beta 1.1 on mac. It wont open. the application has the "NO" symbol through it (see screenshot)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 12.31.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 12.31.16 PM.png (68.99 KiB) Viewed 2423 times