Preload wizard - what am I looking for?

vibez

Re: Preload wizard - what am I looking for?

Post by vibez »

0 to 1
pjr

Post by pjr »

vibez wrote:0 to 1
OK, so now run it again 0 to 0.3

Peter
vibez

Post by vibez »

Will do :)
vibez

Post by vibez »

0 to 0.3
20170902_225258.jpg
20170902_225258.jpg (79.11 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
pjr

Post by pjr »

Measure the best part; looks like it should be about 0.12 to 0.15 preload.

Peter
vibez

Post by vibez »

Seems to be but is that the best I can hope for? I'll be honest, it doesn't look any better than I get with any other slicer. Maybe I was expecting too much from preload?
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

vibez wrote:Seems to be but is that the best I can hope for? I'll be honest, it doesn't look any better than I get with any other slicer. Maybe I was expecting too much from preload?
This test's job is not to hide the seam. Quite the opposite, the seam is left *as visible as possible* to gauge when Preload is doing its job: specifically to do a synchronized retract at the end of a sparse infill path with high flow rate, immediately followed by a synchronized prime during the beginning of a perimeter path with low flow rate. Once Preload is tuned, you can do prints with the seam hiding features turned back on (I use Seam Gap at 0, Seam Depth at 1, and Loop-Join set to 'Seam' as a starting point). You can also use destring as you normally would, only you'll find you need less destring since Preload will take care of backing any latent compression off the filament.

thanks,
Jonathan
vibez

Post by vibez »

Thanks, that makes sense. Of now I've tuned preload i thought I would print a Marvin. I seems to be getting artefacts around the mask
20170903_090342.jpg
These seems to correspond with the dark purple blobs on the preview. What setting would help to control these?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (246.99 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

The hot pink spikes on either side of the face are crowning trying to fill in plastic...in this particular case it's better not to have crowning there, since it is visibly different from the layers above and below. In my working build (not released yet, but will be in the final 1.6 release) I have made the crowning threshold a setting in the style tab, and also made it settable for FREE users. For my Marvin prints I believe I have the threshold set to 3mm to keep crowning out of those regions.

thanks,
Jonathan
vibez

Post by vibez »

Great, looking forward to it!