profiles going AWOL

hacker

profiles going AWOL

Post by hacker »

Hey,

after I started KISSLicer today I suddenly discovered that my printer profile is kinda emptied:
Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 20.25.31.png
but I also discovered that now I have another profile called old, which looks more or less like the old profile used to look:
Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 20.29.06.png
I certainly neither created new profile, nor renamed the old one. But what I did yesterday is renaming a bunch of material profiles adding '[old]' at the end (I reworked my printer a bit). And look into the _materials directory reveals:

Code: Select all

-rw-r--r-- 1 hacker admin  996 Sep 19 20:23 'ICE ABS naughty natural (D0) [old.ini'
-rw-r--r-- 1 hacker admin  997 Sep 19 11:15 'ICE ABS naughty natural (D0) [old].ini'
-rw-r--r-- 1 hacker admin 1004 Sep 19 20:23 'ICE ABS+ cunning clear (D0) [old.ini'
-rw-r--r-- 1 hacker admin 1005 Sep 19 11:15 'ICE ABS+ cunning clear (D0) [old].ini'
And that with every material I renamed. I renamed yesterday. The time 20:23 is when I started kisslicer in the evening (now) and the time 11:15 is most likely the time when I closed kisslicer in the morning today (after not touching it since yesterday evening). No idea if that provides you with any clues, but that's about as much information as I can gather. Most likely these phenomena are reproducible, but I'm way too tired now. I'm going to add all *.ini files to git now instead. Scary ;-)
lonesock

Re: profiles going AWOL

Post by lonesock »

I'm unsure what happens when there are brackets in the profile name itself...that could get weird as the profile parser uses the first closing square bracket as the "end the profile name" marker.

Or do you mean that you copied the profile files themselves, and changed the filenames? The actual name of the profile, as used in KISSlicer, is inside the file, within the [brackets]. So if you happen to have multiple files (with different names, obviously) that all have the same [profile name] internally, then you would only have one loaded profile inside KISSlicer.

I'm guessing it's the brackets-within-brackets, but if that's not what happened then possibly I broke something? I can test the bracket thing here, and then disallow brackets in the profile name if that's the issue. (I'm super close to a 1.6.1 update release.)

thanks,
Jonathan
hacker

Re: profiles going AWOL

Post by hacker »

lonesock wrote:I'm unsure what happens when there are brackets in the profile name itself...that could get weird as the profile parser uses the first closing square bracket as the "end the profile name" marker.

Or do you mean that you copied the profile files themselves, and changed the filenames? The actual name of the profile, as used in KISSlicer, is inside the file, within the [brackets]. So if you happen to have multiple files (with different names, obviously) that all have the same [profile name] internally, then you would only have one loaded profile inside KISSlicer.

I'm guessing it's the brackets-within-brackets, but if that's not what happened then possibly I broke something? I can test the bracket thing here, and then disallow brackets in the profile name if that's the issue. (I'm super close to a 1.6.1 update release.)

thanks,
Jonathan

No, I just clicked 'rename'. I can imagine .ini files may have problems with that, somehow I didn't think of it, maybe you should just refuse to use weird characters? Actually, in the end, it's created those files with [old] in filename and properly used [old] within brackets in it. But only shown the ones without trailing ] in the dropdown. I still haven't experimented, but I'm pretty much convinced it's the brackets problem, so I would at least just disallow it.

The only thing that's hard to understand is why should those renames of materials affect printer profiles, maybe something with profile associations? (which I don't fully understand, BTW, what good does it do except for showing pluses?)