crossroads

HauntedMaestro

crossroads

Post by HauntedMaestro »

I'm at a crossroads regarding my Cubex Duo and wanted to get some users input/opinions.

I have had my Cubex Duo for 2 years now and have used KISSlicer for the same amount of time.
While KISSlicer has been a godsend for use with my Cubex, I"m wondering if my Cubex is past it's prime.
I went to a friends house who got a lulzbot TAZ 5 and was showing me the myriad of ways to achieve good prints via various slicers, remote printing with Astroprint etc. I felt kind of dumb, for none of these things can be used with Cubex and thus i've had no knowledge of how vast the printing world has become.

So my question is this. Is it worth trying to mod my Cubex to behave more "modern" for lack of a better term, or should i just start entertaining getting a different printer altogether. There are things about the Cubex that i do love (build volume, construction), but things like being able to print TPE, the fact that it doesn't have a heated bed become a serious caveat.

Any thoughts welcome. And thanks for reading.

Shaun
plexus
Site Admin

Re: crossroads

Post by plexus »

It depends on what your goals and interests are. for example, myself, I have a printrbot+ from the original Kickstarter. I've done upgrades to it and it prints very nicely now. I am using all the same tools I settled on shortly after getting into printing: Kisslicer, Repetier and the printer uses a Marlin controller. for me, that's all I need - as long as I can print I am happy. I don't want to mess around with latest and greatest experimental hardware and software. however, there are many people that love tinkering and want to mess around with all the latest stuff. you have to decide what you want out of 3D printing and then make your purchase decisions accordingly. if tinkering and experimenting jazzes you, then it sounds like getting into an open source printer is in the cards.

HauntedMaestro wrote:I'm at a crossroads regarding my Cubex Duo and wanted to get some users input/opinions.

I have had my Cubex Duo for 2 years now and have used KISSlicer for the same amount of time.
While KISSlicer has been a godsend for use with my Cubex, I"m wondering if my Cubex is past it's prime.
I went to a friends house who got a lulzbot TAZ 5 and was showing me the myriad of ways to achieve good prints via various slicers, remote printing with Astroprint etc. I felt kind of dumb, for none of these things can be used with Cubex and thus i've had no knowledge of how vast the printing world has become.

So my question is this. Is it worth trying to mod my Cubex to behave more "modern" for lack of a better term, or should i just start entertaining getting a different printer altogether. There are things about the Cubex that i do love (build volume, construction), but things like being able to print TPE, the fact that it doesn't have a heated bed become a serious caveat.

Any thoughts welcome. And thanks for reading.

Shaun
Hugues

Re: crossroads

Post by Hugues »

Hi,

You can update your cubex to a new "feature bot". I converted mine into a smoothieboard so i've a web interface and i can monitor it. You can also use a duet + extension to have a "touch" control on it with a panel.
Total cost for it is arround 300€, less than a new big printer like our cubex.
regards,
Hugues

www.cubexupgrade.com