New CubeX hotends

rantzaus

New CubeX hotends

Post by rantzaus »

Hey guys.

I have accidentally broken two hotends on one of my cubex duo's.
Now, what hotends should I order to increase my printing quality.?

Regards
Søren Hansen
Giovanni V.

Re: New CubeX hotends

Post by Giovanni V. »

Hi,
I've tested the Cubstom One with the E3D hot end and the Merlin, both are better than the original.
The Merlin is a little better when you look at the quality of the extrusion, quite impressive on overhangs, I've found 2 negative points :
- the hot-end is screwed into a PEEK part and even if this material has a good resistance to temperature sometimes the hot-end unscrews slightly while printing
- the noozle is a air-brush noozle, is very little and the thread is very small and is not designed to endure shocks

The Cubstom One is stronger and is full metal and even if I've not been able to print as good as the Merlin I've chosen that one because it is more reliable for my needs and the difference about print quality was very little.
rantzaus

Post by rantzaus »

Hey Giovanni

Thanks for your feedback.

There are three alternatives, if I'm right.

Merlin hot end.
E3D V6 hot end.
Cubstome ONE

The only one not required to change the z-stopper is the E3D, right?
Giovanni V.

Post by Giovanni V. »

rantzaus wrote:Hey Giovanni

Thanks for your feedback.

There are three alternatives, if I'm right.

Merlin hot end.
E3D V6 hot end.
Cubstome ONE

The only one not required to change the z-stopper is the E3D, right?

The Cubstom One is a E3D V6 hot end with a special sink that fits the Cubex extruder, this solution is much more better than the E3D V6 hot end with original sink and an adapter for the Cubex. With the Cubstom One you have more rigidity and also a better heat tranfer from the extruder to the sink.

About the z-stopper I don't think you must change it with any of them, but I'm not sure because when I made the tests I already changed mine, and I strongly suggest you to do the same, put an optical sensor, is much much much more reliable.
rantzaus

Post by rantzaus »

Hey Again

Maybe Hudges knows if the z-stopper needs to be changed with the Cubstone ONE?

If i'm going to buy the Cubestone ONE Hot end, what nozzle size should i order?
The printers are used for Higher educational purpose, and we are drawing fine detailed konstruktions.
Giovanni V.

Post by Giovanni V. »

rantzaus wrote:Hey Again

Maybe Hudges knows if the z-stopper needs to be changed with the Cubstone ONE?

If i'm going to buy the Cubestone ONE Hot end, what nozzle size should i order?
The printers are used for Higher educational purpose, and we are drawing fine detailed konstruktions.
Try to ask Hugues about the z-stopper, but I don't see why you should change it. The Cubstom One is shorter than the original, you have to change Z-Gap but that's all IMHO.

We have 0.4 and it's a good compromise between speed and quality, we also have a 0.3mm but at the moment I didn't use it.
Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Hello guys !

You don't need to change the endstop to get a new hotend. I just really advice it with the merlin as the tiny nozzle is really fragile and risk is common to hurt the nozzle to the bed.

About nozzle, if you need a good balance between quality and speed, you can start with a 0.4 mm. You can easily evolve to an other size by ordering new nozzle from e3d. Personally i love the 0.3mm for sharp details but it result really long time printing.
regards,
Hugues

www.cubexupgrade.com
rantzaus

Post by rantzaus »

Hey Hugues

What are your speed settings in Kiss with those two nozzles?
Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Speed are between 30 and 40 with all hotend on cubex, you can go higher but mass on carriage is the limitation on this machine. Mainly due the cubex firmware doesn't have acceleration setting. For a funny try, setup kisslicer at 70 mm/s in speed tab and try to print a cube. Your printer will shock with a big noise at each corner and you will have hole everywhere.

With my modified cubex with an other motherboard (smoothieboard) i usualy print arround 80mm/s . to achieve this i remove extruder motor from carriage to the frame so i save lot of weight on it.

If you want to get your print quicly the only solution is to go with big nozzle, 0.6 or 0.8.
regards,
Hugues

www.cubexupgrade.com
Giovanni V.

Post by Giovanni V. »

Hugues wrote: With my modified cubex with an other motherboard (smoothieboard) i usualy print arround 80mm/s . to achieve this i remove extruder motor from carriage to the frame so i save lot of weight on it.
Hi Hugues,
what about the mechanical strength with parts printed so fast ? I'm asking this because for the majority of the filaments the producers recommends a max speed around 40mm/s.

Giovanni