Assymetric extrusion width?

CJWubex

Re: Assymetric extrusion width?

Post by CJWubex »

Well I have looked at the problem a bit more now. I had to change material as I finally ran out of the CubeX filament. I found I had to tweak the flow up a bit because all sides were a bit thin. But still it is assymetric. Indeed it is the first side (and maybe even the second) after the seam.

I am trying to understand all these parameters, but I have one first question: If I understand correctly, you are using the 'calc' parameters to set the M228 values? So in other words I cannot use the 'Cost calc' with CubeItMod? I dont really care about the cost, but it was a tip suggested elsewhere here to use this to calculate the length of filament needed for a project...
Giovanni V.

Post by Giovanni V. »

CJWubex wrote: If I understand correctly, you are using the 'calc' parameters to set the M228 values? So in other words I cannot use the 'Cost calc' with CubeItMod? I dont really care about the cost, but it was a tip suggested elsewhere here to use this to calculate the length of filament needed for a project...
You're right and if you install the CubeItModV6.po file as language file it will show you the menu with M228, M277 ...
CJWubex

Post by CJWubex »

OK, I understand this now, I think. But it is still not clear to me how to manipulate the M227 values to 'thicken' the walls that seem to be thin. If I understand correctly

M227P determines how much to suck/prime
M227S determines the speed of the sucking/priming
M228P determines how much of the priming to do dynamically while printing the first bit of a loop.

With M228P set to 0, this means to not do any of the priming dynamically, I think. Thus there is only static priming happening. So why then is my first wall thin?
Giovanni V.

Post by Giovanni V. »

CJWubex wrote:OK, I understand this now, I think. But it is still not clear to me how to manipulate the M227 values to 'thicken' the walls that seem to be thin. If I understand correctly

M227P determines how much to suck/prime
M227S determines the speed of the sucking/priming
M228P determines how much of the priming to do dynamically while printing the first bit of a loop.

With M228P set to 0, this means to not do any of the priming dynamically, I think. Thus there is only static priming happening. So why then is my first wall thin?
If M227 P and / or M227S is / are too big some air will be sucked into the hot end and during the static prime the air into the hot end will push the plastic outside then during the extrusion of the first part of the path the air will go out with the plastic resulting on smaller extrusion width.
CJWubex

Post by CJWubex »

Hmm. I have tried playing around a bit with the numbers, but I don't feel I am getting anywhere. I made a 40x40x20 cube with 0.5mm sides/extrusion width, and in the end it is the first side that is thin at the beginning and nearly gets to the right thickness at the end. The other three sides are roughly correct in thickness.

The initial settings were:
M227P =0.08
M227S=0.03
M228P=0.0
M228S=0.015

What I have tried is:

M227S=0.01 - not enough was being extruded at the beginning of the side, so there were holes in this side.

M227P =0.04, M227S=0.03 - First side is too thin at start (0.31) but gets thicker (0.45 at end)

M227P =0.02 M227S=0.03 - same (First side is too thin at start (0.31) but gets thicker (0.45 at end))

M227P =0.02 M227S=0.06 - same (First side is too thin at start (0.31) but gets thicker (0.45 at end))

M227P =0.02 M227S=0.3 - same (First side is too thin at start (0.31) but gets thicker (0.45 at end))

So other than when I reduced M227S, I really do not see much of a difference.

Any suggestions?
Giovanni V.

Post by Giovanni V. »

CJWubex wrote:Any suggestions?
Did you change the voltage setting on the Print jet board ?
CJWubex

Post by CJWubex »

No, but I assume this is the procedure you have suggested to increase the torque (in the thread about off the shelf filament)? I can give it a try...
Giovanni V.

Post by Giovanni V. »

CJWubex wrote:No, but I assume this is the procedure you have suggested to increase the torque (in the thread about off the shelf filament)? I can give it a try...
Yes, use a sink on the chip like described.
If the motor has a low torque it looses steps and the M227/228 cant work properly.
CJWubex

Post by CJWubex »

I don't have any heat sinks handy, so I tried increasing the voltage to 1.3V (it was just under 1.1). I tried a print with this but I really do not think it made a difference.

Maybe I can find some heat sinks somewhere...

Regarding the instructions for doing this: I have some tips which I will send by PM to Giovanni about this.
CJWubex

Post by CJWubex »

Just broke my Z-sensor, so I am out of action anyway until the Z-stopper I just ordered from CubexUpgrade comes in...