Purge option: Infill first, perimeters last

626Pilot

Purge option: Infill first, perimeters last

Post by 626Pilot »

This would be useful for people using the E3D Cyclops and similar "switching" extruders. I noticed that when I printed the "heartless dragon" piece, the borders would be tinted with the last color, but the infill would all be purely the currently-used color. Kind of a waste! If the infill was drawn first, the tinting would be relegated to the internal support, where it would be invisible or close to it.

I'm aware of the Short Wall purge feature, and I'm aware that that can be "inflated" to help with purging. However, this takes up more time and filament. My suggestion would improve purge performance "for free."

If necessary to constrain the infill, perhaps the inmost perimeter loop could be done first, then the infill, then the remaining perimeter loops.
inventabuild

Re: Purge option: Infill first, perimeters last

Post by inventabuild »

This is a great suggestion. Hopefully Jonathan can offer a minimum purge volume setting with this.

Although there are some parts where I only run 1 loop, so in those cases maybe start off w/ infill and work outward until the minimum purge volume is reached, then do the loop before going back to fill the rest of the infill.

Perhaps can be used in conjunction w/ solid prime pillar in cases where minimum purge volume is not reached printing the part.