CubeX Upgrade - Production Ready?

the_dude

CubeX Upgrade - Production Ready?

Post by the_dude »

Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker.

I've been researching this Printer for a while, I have an opportunity to pick one up for very low price. It has very little use, but it prints as you may know horribly.

After all my research it seems this printer has turned into somewhat of a hobbyist printer. Meaning, it takes allot of tweaking with Hardware / Software to get it to work and even then It may need additional tweaking down the road for consistent results. I respect all the development everyone has done to get this printer to work correctly.

I'm looking for a printer that I can use to print some prototypes with that will give me the least amount of headaches. I've used printers in the past and well aware of the occasional clog, bed leveling / maintenance that is expected and I can deal with that. I have my own hobby's already and not looking for a new one to be honest. I've tested some newer printers out on the market today and they work great out of the box for what I'm looking for, however the price point is much higher than the used CubeX I'm looking at.

My question is, If I were to pick up the CubeX is it worth going through the trouble of upgrading the nozzle, electronics etc. needed to get a good print? Or should Invest in a newer printer that works out of the box?

I look forward to your comments.

Thanks,
the_dude

Re: CubeX Upgrade - Production Ready?

Post by the_dude »

Forgot to add..

Currently the CubeX I'm looking at to buy is able to bypass the filament dock. Its only weakness in my view is the nozzle. I'm thinking about upgrading the Nozzle to E3D V6, but I've seen some of you on here upgrading the circuit boards and I wonder if the Nozzle upgrade is enough. Ideally I would love to see a moded CubeX with E3D nozzles working, but I don't know anyone in town that has one for me to see.
Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Hi,

You don't need to buy lot of thing to improve your cubex, a new hot end or a kit to build your one (depend of your skill). Using bulk filament is allowed by using kisslicer and cubeitmod wihtout new electronic.

You can watch some video with new hotend. On stock cubex.
regards,
Hugues

www.cubexupgrade.com
the_dude

Post by the_dude »

Thank you Hugues,

I see some folks going crazy with upgrades and all I want is simple good quality prints.
Hugues

Post by Hugues »

If you follow instruction written by Tobby, you can achieve a good print with kisslicer in several clics. If you print mainly PLA you don't need an hotbed, i use withe glue stick for adherence.

But don't try cubify software, it's impossible to get something right.

About the cubex you are looking for, don't buy it more than a basic reprap kit otherwise build your one ! If you get filament cartridge with it, use it carefully because it's a really good quality filament so do your test with bulk !
regards,
Hugues

www.cubexupgrade.com