CubeX Duo - Strange Gaps in Perimeter - Firmware Reset ???

jonny.m

CubeX Duo - Strange Gaps in Perimeter - Firmware Reset ???

Post by jonny.m »

Hello All,

About three weeks ago I figured out that we have a CubeX Duo in our company that nobody is able to work with (the guy who was responsible for it left the company). The first thing I noticed when I started using it was the poor slicing software that produced unusable prints. I was happy to find Kisslicer and Cubeitmod ! I started working with Kisslicer 1.4.5.10 and Cubeitmod491 (on Win7 64bit) and followed the instructions on cubexupgrade.com. The first prints of the single loop fintune file showed a slightly to high extrusion width , so i started to decrease flow tweak and was getting close to match the extrusion width. All of a sudden I was getting very small gaps in the loops. These gaps appear on approx. 60% of the loops, more or less at the same position (+/- 5mm). I increased the flow tweak back to the original values but couldn't get rid of the gaps. No matter what I change (flow tweak, extrusion width, speed, temperature) the gaps don't go away. The only change is the position of the gaps, sometimes they move closer to the seam, sometimes they are 2cm further down of the seam. But always all gaps are more or less at the same position (+/-5mm). I get the same effects on both extruders, with very old PLA and brand new PLA.

Next I found the newest Kisslicer Version 1.5beta2.16 and the Safemode Version of Cubeitmod...... I couldn't believe that the gaps were gone after I started using the new softwares !!! I adjusted the flow tweak once again, still everything perfect. Adjusted infill and solid, great ! Then I followed the steps in part 3 of the tutorial on cubexupgrade.com to adjust the seam. I slightly changed M227S and M228S and printed again. The first layer is perfect but the second layer doesn't start to extrude at the seam position and only puts out small drops each 2-3mm but then starts to extrude correctly and finishes the loop. This happens for the first few loops, then it prints a few loops completly, followed by uncompleted loops, and so on and so on. Once again I steped back to the initial values but can't get rid of this new effects. Sliced again with version 1.4.5.10 and I get the old problem with the small gaps. Tried the new version again, same result with the new effect of not starting extrusion at seam position for some loops.

I am really close to giving up since I don't want to invest much more time in this printer if I am not sure if I can ever get it to work. Any ideas are welcome !!! Could there be a problem with the firmware of the printer (V1.07)? And if yes, am I able to reset the firmware ? I haven't found the registration key that came with the printer, I hope I don't need it to reset the firmware......

Thank you in advance for your support,
Tobias
Hugues

Re: CubeX Duo - Strange Gaps in Perimeter - Firmware Reset ?

Post by Hugues »

Hello Tobias,

You can reset the firmware with the cubex software. Your serial number is behind the printer.

Before doing this can you try to print this small part, i sliced it in PLA, it's not optimized for your material but you will see if there is a bad parameter or a bug from firmware.
Otherwise you can post your setup used or the ini files used by kisslicer.
Attachments
fineTune.zip
(121.87 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
regards,
Hugues

www.cubexupgrade.com
jonny.m

Post by jonny.m »

Hi Hugues,

thank you soooooo much for your support ! I haven't been able to test your file so far, I am busy with the work I am supposed to do ;-) I attached the Ini-Files for you, as well as a word document with screenshots of the Kisslicer settings (newest Version) and a picture of my printing results. The blue one was printed with the older Kisslicer Version, showing those gaps close to the end of the loop, the black one was sliced with the new Version of Kisslicer where the printer doesn't start extruding at the beginning of the loop sometimes.

I hope I can test your file in the next two days since I will be on holiday next week.

Cheers,
Tobi
Attachments
KisslicerFiles.zip
(2.23 MiB) Downloaded 221 times
Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Hi,

You're welcome !

Don't use the last version of kisslicer, use the KISSlicer_1.5_beta_2.15, it's safer ! There is some new parameters that cubeitmod (VP/VS/Raft) don't understand.

I also notice:
- too much M227P and M228P (better 0 on this last)
- Extrusion width is 0.5
- Setup all the speed to precise with slider

I get better result when i setup all speed equal, 32 is a good balance and i setup a slowest speed in travel, 80 in XY and 2.5 in Z. I notice that the cubex doesn't like quick speed change, motors can skip step...

Good luck !
regards,
Hugues

www.cubexupgrade.com
jonny.m

Post by jonny.m »

Once again, thank you very much !
I just managed to print your file and attached the pictures. The raft showes quite some gaps and on the bottom there are some not so nice spots as well. The walls are wavy compared to my prints (without infill) and the top looks quite funny. I cracked it open a bit after I took the pictures, the infill consists of "towers" which are barely connected to each other and can easily be removed. The perimeter has some small, small gaps again. Have a look and let me know what you think.
In the meantime I will download KISSlicer_1.5_beta_2.15 and do the suggested changes to be ready for the next print.

Thanx,
Tobias
Attachments
Printresults.zip
(7.36 MiB) Downloaded 186 times
Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Hi !

Sorry i made a mistake while sliced, i made it for my 0.3 nozzle....Sorry again ! but i think your printer is ok, try to use this couple of setup in kisslicer beta 2.15 to start :
M227P : 0.06
M227S: 0.15
M228P : 0
M228S: 1.4

You should have to change some values M227S to retract more filament with your stock hotend.
I tried them one time with a 0.6 nozzle and i get a nice seam but i did check the hairy effect.
regards,
Hugues

www.cubexupgrade.com
jonny.m

Post by jonny.m »

Perfect !!!

As I mentioned I might not be able to print again before I return from my holidays but I will report back once I tried to print with your suggested settings.

Have a nice day,
Tobi
jonny.m

Post by jonny.m »

Here we go again ! Hi Hugues !

I was able to print today and I am one step closer to giving up..... I used KISSlicer_1.5_beta_2.15 and the Safe Version of CubeitMod with the settings suggested by you. The first print looked surprisingly good, no gaps at all ! First I did a few prints to get the loops to match the extrusion width, then I started to adjust the seam like it is described on cubexupgrade.com (Part 3/3). The seam itself is too thick but right after the seam there is a gap. I always printed two parts, strange thing is that on the one that is printed first I got a gap of approx. 2-3mm but on the second part there is no real gap but cleary not enough material as well after the seam. So I started to play with the values for M228 P/S and M227 P/S. First in small steps and then in big steps in both directions. Result: NOTHING changed at all, the seam alwas looked the same. To check if I am doing something wrong with slicing/saving I changed the Temperature slightly and it worked as it should. Then I suspected the SafeMode of cubeitmod and changed back to the old version -> still nothing. Restarted Kisslicer, unplugged the printer for one minute -> nothing. Changed all the settings back to your suggested values and all of a sudden I get completly different results. The old problem of not starting extruding at the seam is back...... I took I picture how it looked in the beginning when I was not able to get any changes to the seam and how it looks now with the exact same settings I started with.

Any Ideas......?

Cheers,
Tobi
Attachments
WP_20150324_16_15_14_Pro.jpg
jonny.m

Post by jonny.m »

Its me again..... Over the past two days I learned how to read the .bfb files and found out that with KISSlicer_1.5_beta_2.15 the values for M227/M228 S&P don't get transferred throu with Cubeitmod. That was the reason why nothing changed on the print when I increased/decreased the values in Kisslicer. Now I am using KISSlicer_Win64_1_4_5_10 again and I am able to adjust M227/M228 settings. To get rid of the gaps in the perimeter I had to decrease M227P to 0.008. When M228S was set to 1.4 according Hugues recommendation there was a lot of material extruded at the seam before starting a new loop. I ended up with these settings:

M227P: 0.008
M227S: 0.25
M228P: 0.03
M228S: 0.25

Compared to Hugues recommendation those values look quite strange, don't they ? Any comment on that ? The seam now looks ok, could be better but for the moment I am satisfied.

Now I would like to be able to adjust the infill and solid (less solid would improve the upper surface of my object) but as far as I understand it is not possible with cubeit in safe mode ? Is there any other way to adjust this. Does anybody know if CubeitMod is going to be updated to fix the speed-bugs and be compaible with newer Kisslicer Versions ?

Regards,
Tobias
Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Hi Tobias,

You're right about M227/M228, but i found kisslicer V1.5 beta 1.17 write M227/228, please look at the attachment. It also could be a bug coming from a new field...

I find a gentlemen who can code a new version of cubeitmod (safe version) with the last version of kisslicer. I really hope to get it work soon, we have to regularize a speed problem but otherwise it write the prime and suck function. %solid and %infill are adding functionality to kisslicer, with them we increase error possibilities.

Values you found are working with the old kisslicer, since the new seam management you will get a gap. Can you try the V1.5 beta 1.17 with cubeitmod (safe or not) ?
If it don't write the M227/228 can you post the bfb and the bfb.back ?
Attachments
Calibration.zip
(128.28 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
regards,
Hugues

www.cubexupgrade.com