KISSlicer 1.5 Beta 2 - in development

octocpp

Re: KISSlicer 1.5 Beta 2 - in development

Post by octocpp »

I bought the Pro a few years ago now. I really like Kisslicer; the extrusion paths just seem very sane to me and it is the only slicer that makes seriously solid usable parts. One of the features ive been hoping for a long time now would be the ability to turn OFF support under certain features that can bridge fine without support and would look nicer, whether it be by selection(really nice) or just by setting a Z floor height that someone else mentioned(like dont support the text on the table since it doesnt need it).

I am willing to pay for features that I really would like to see implemented.

The other thing Ive really wanted that would benefit everyone, would be a filament retract WHILE wiping, so there is no pause while the stepper is retracting.

If I found those features to be implemented I would gladly pay full purchase price again for my appreciation. Perhaps if we narrowed the feature requests down to the most important that people would be willing to fund a little, we could entice some targeted finishings for this great slicer?
Not trying to step on any toes here, Yes I am trying to bribe Jonathan for features :).
inventabuild

Post by inventabuild »

KISSlicer makes better parts than anything else in the wild and I paid $42 USD for the Pro version vs Simplify3D which charges $149 USD for their slicer. With proper marketing and a commitment to development I don't see why Jonathan couldn't gain market share and even charge a little more...of course word of mouth would then spur sales too.

Jonathan has the best tool path out there which is the foundation of a good slicer so he's got a good head start on the competition. Hopefully, he'll surprise us with an update soon.
626Pilot

Post by 626Pilot »

inventabuild wrote:KISSlicer makes better parts than anything else in the wild
Except if you're doing dual extrusion, which is an intolerable mess. The Wall/Short Wall generation deliberately overextrudes, apparently with no setting to stop it from doing so. It makes huge blobs on the wall, which the nozzle then drags over to the model, leaving nasty pockmarks. This makes KISSlicer unusable for dual-extrusion PLA printing, unless you're okay with the finished model looking like it caught a social disease. (Would you feel good about charging a customer for a 3D printed object with a bunch of blemishes on it? I wouldn't.) It might be okay for ABS, but I don't like all the hoops that stuff makes me jump through.

The person who maintains this slicer has an unfortunate tendency to stop releasing updates, or communicate with the user community about it, for months to years at a time. Even though I brought a Pro license, I'm starting to look at other slicers. None of them are as easy to configure as KISSlicer. Slic3r is alright, but it's terribly slow, so I never use it for anything but spiral vases (which KISS doesn't support at all). S3D is overpriced and run by a company that has been trying to sweep a critical G-code output bug under the rug for a long time, so... no thanks. MatterControl is free, but it's like The Death Of A Thousand Clicks. You have to wear out your mouse finding all the settings, adding them to lists of settings that you can then edit, etc. It's also not apparent how one would tell it which filament is in which extruder, and when you tell it to load multiple STLs, it places each one on its own platen, apparently missing the cue that I want to do multi-extrusion.

Hoping the author makes a comeback, but this isn't the first time they've gone AWOL. I just don't know what else to do.
tarjeik

Post by tarjeik »

Been quite a while since I checked out KISSlicer. For what it's worth, a new 1.5 beta 3.4 landed in dropbox a few hours ago. I guess Jonathan will make an official announcement soon.
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

tarjeik wrote:...For what it's worth, a new 1.5 beta 3.4 landed in dropbox a few hours ago. I guess Jonathan will make an official announcement soon.
Heh, yes, I was waiting to get a Mac build up, but that might take a few days. So here it is, 1.5 beta 3.4. There isn't a bunch different on the outside, but changes from 1.5 beta 2.22 include:
  • Improved Crowning (especially joining nearby crowning segments)
  • Fixed a bug in the mesh-processor (specifically on large flat horizontal surfaces)
  • Internal functions can handle uneven slice thicknesses (this will be used in some features planned for 2.0)
  • Fixed a bug in the internal "distance to the surface" function
  • Added a widget animation class (the settings window slides up and down now), mostly for 2.0 GUI rework
  • Added a feature to import an image, trace an outline, then extrude (unfinished, I used it to make a replacement puzzle piece)
  • Command Line Interface has new options (not done with this yet)
  • Fixed a major bug in the model packing code (so placing multiple items on the bed should be much less stupid)
  • Fixed a major bug related to retract / wipe events not happening when they should
So, hopefully this gives a better / more consistent experience. I'm just trying to patch bugs and get a 1.5 release out the door. Then it's on to the fun stuff in version 2!

thanks,
Jonathan
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

I just uploaded 1.5 beta 3.5 (Windows builds so far, Linux hopefully tomorrow, Mac hopefully this weekend).

Updates:
  • Fixed the "Can't [Stop] the slice" bug
  • Fixed the "Can't Drag-N-Drop" bug
  • Fixed a bug where the Z value in the G-code was always set 0.005 mm too high
  • Fixed a bug where FREE users couldn't slice multiple models (this is also a change in the licensing, so FREE users get a bit more functionality)
  • Detects "islands" during raft generations, to improve the path order a bit, and to destring / wipe when moving between them
  • Added a "Reload from file(s)" funtion to the right-click model tab menu (so much for feature freeze!)
  • Made the Interface Support optional on the bottom (of the support, on top of the model)
Please let me know about any bugs you find. I really am trying to get a release out, and I very much appreciate you helping me not release buggy builds!

thanks,
Jonathan
drracer

Post by drracer »

Just checked the latest version of 1.5 Beta 3.6 Win64 available at your dropbox.
There seems to be a drag&drop bug - dropping files onto Kisslicer's window was always working (as far as I can remember, last tried Beta 2.2 a few moments ago), however it does not work in 3.6. One must do "Open file" the old fashion way :) .
Ultim - Yoann

Post by Ultim - Yoann »

Hi,

Maybe i'm doing something wrong ...
I downloaded both 3.5 and 3.6. i just copy and past my setting files but i can't slice anything, i always encounter this error message (see screenshot)
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (92.72 KiB) Viewed 4382 times
Attachments
config_files.7z
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Dreide

Post by Dreide »

Ultim - Yoann wrote:Maybe i'm doing something wrong ...
I downloaded both 3.5 and 3.6. i just copy and past my setting files but i can't slice anything, i always encounter this error message
I can reproduce your problem but only with the unregistered version of KISSlicer. Weird enough, the "Style" settings are completely different depending on whether I start the registered or the unregistered version with your set of ini-files.
Ultim - Yoann

Post by Ultim - Yoann »

Dreide wrote:
Ultim - Yoann wrote:Maybe i'm doing something wrong ...
I downloaded both 3.5 and 3.6. i just copy and past my setting files but i can't slice anything, i always encounter this error message
I can reproduce your problem but only with the unregistered version of KISSlicer. Weird enough, the "Style" settings are completely different depending on whether I start the registered or the unregistered version with your set of ini-files.
After some testing I know a little more now on this problem :

Testing Environment ==>> Windows 10 X64 Pro - Kislicer 1.5Beta 3.6 unregistred - STL file is a simple cube 25*25*25

1/ I run Kisslicer with his own parameter files ==>> slice it successfully

2/ I only change "Extrusion width" from 0.5 to 0.4 ==>> failure of slicing

2/ I only change "Extrusion width" from 0.4 to 0.6 ==>> failure of slicing

3/ I only change "Extrusion width" from 0.6 to 0.5 ==>> slice it successfully

"Infil Extrusion Width" seems unaffected