KISSlicer 1.5 Beta 2 - in development

lucianoferroni

Re: KISSlicer 1.5 Beta 2 - in development

Post by lucianoferroni »

Jonathan,
I downloaded the Kisslicer version for Mac that you posted 10 days ago hoping that it would solve a big problem I have with the program.

The issue is that I´m unable to open any .stl file on the mail screen. When I try to open one, only the small preview image on the top right appears. The main window, where the .stl file should appear stays empty. Additionally, once I´ve tried to open a .stl file (that won´t open), I`m unable to pan and zoom, the window becomes blocked and I have to quit Kisslicer.

I haven´t been able to use Kisslicer at all.

I have a Mac Mini with OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2

Thanks!!
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

That was with 1.5 Beta 2.7? (There is an older beta 1.17 in the same folder.) If so, can any Mac users weigh in here? Are there any compatibility settings one can try that affect OpenGL rendering? The only thing I can think to try on my end is to compile with the bleeding-edge FLTK libraries, to see if anything was fixed by the developers. My Mac Mini I use for compiling is certainly not bleeding edge...I think it is the oldest dual core Mac Mini in existence. [8^)

Jonathan
lucianoferroni

Post by lucianoferroni »

It was with the 2.7 version you posted 10 days ago.
My Mac has OS X Yosemite 10.10.2.
when I try to open the .stl files, many times a window that says MESH ERROR KEY pops up. It is as if Kisslicer could not open the drawing as if they were damaged. but I tried with many different .stl files, even some I downloaded from thingiverse.com and none of them will open.
I even tried using the default .ini files that come with the Kisslicer download and it won´t work.
The only 3D software I have in my Mac is AutoCAD 2015. Could it be that AutoCAD changed some settings that don´t allow Kisslicer to work properly? No clue!
Thanks!
plexus
Site Admin

Post by plexus »

for a data point: I am on a macbook pro 17" running 10.10.2 and KISS 2.7. when I open stls in KISS I see them both in on the print bed and the object thumbnail and so far there have been no problems with it.
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

I'm on a big iMac (4 cores, 32GB RAM) with 10.10.2 Yosemite and have had no problems with any of the beta or production versions of KISS. Perhaps you could post one of the problematic STL files - there might be something about the file. I have tools to analyze STLs.

Cheers,
Michael
lucianoferroni

Post by lucianoferroni »

I´m sure it´s not a problem with the .stl files. I´ve tried all sorts of files and none of them open on the print bed. I also downloaded another similar software, 'slic3r', and all of the .stl open.
The only other program that deals with 3D objects that I have in my computer is AutoCAD 2015. A wild guess may be that when installing AutoCAD 2015, some setups on the computer are changed and become incompatible with Kisslicer.
Thanks for the posts!!
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

If this was a Windows problem, I would ask if you had rebooted. [8^) I do not have much experience with Macs, though, sorry!

Jonathan
plexus
Site Admin

Post by plexus »

mhackney wrote:I'm on a big iMac (4 cores, 32GB RAM) with 10.10.2 Yosemite and have had no problems with any of the beta or production versions of KISS. Perhaps you could post one of the problematic STL files - there might be something about the file. I have tools to analyze STLs.

Cheers,
Michael
Mike, can you PM me one of your STLs that is causing the problem and I will try and open it on my mac and report back?
texsc98

Post by texsc98 »

First I have to say awesome work on all the new features, you're really cranking out some awesome stuff already and the year is just beginning!

I have a question about the "pricing" that's generated after slicing in KISSlicer. Not sure how many people use it, but I actually do use it to roughly calculate my pricing from. I'm pretty sure it's always been this way, but I've downloaded the latest 1.5-beta2.10 for win64 and it seems to works as follows...

I've assumed it's based on the $/cm^3 in material tab, as well as the printer tab's $/hour figures... But after slicing if you change the fast/precise setting slider the value doesn't change. If you change the actual values set in printer/speed tab it won't change the value either. You also have to delete/re-add the model since it won't re-calculate or allow to re-slice if changing these. I'm guessing the speed values take into affect after the "save" function is called? But even after changing the printer/speed values and re-slicing, the calculated price doesn't change even if doubling/tripling the mm/s speed values.

So is the $/hour used at all in the pricing, or is the calculation just using the cm^3 value? If so, at what speed is the $/hr based upon?

Thanks,
Austin
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

For me, changing the material cost or the printer cost per hour does not immediately update the info. But as soon as I update the position of the "Precision vs. Speed" slider, then the estimated build cost does change (taking both factors into account). Maybe it's something I've changed since 2.10? I will try to get KISSlicer to update the estimate when the relevant settings are updated as well, so that should show up in the next posted build.

thanks,
Jonathan