Befuddled by nozzle sizes

Befuddled by nozzle sizes

Postby bobstro » 05 Aug 2018, 21:59

I've been getting familiar with KISSlicer for about a week now. I'm quite impressed, and have been gradually getting comfortable with the way things work. I'm running a Prusa i3 Mk3 with PJR's Mk3 profiles downloaded from the KISS site. I've had good luck with basic prints, and even some of the variable layer settings. However, I've hit a wall with trying different nozzle sizes. My understanding is that I should only change the nozzle diameter (Printer->Extruder Hardware->Ext#1->NoDia1) and extrusion width (Style->Extrusion Width) and everything else should be calculated properly. I've tried doing these steps with a 0.25mm nozzle and had severe over-extrusion and distortion to the point that the 1st layer wouldn't complete. Am I missing some steps?
bobstro

Re: Befuddled by nozzle sizes

Postby pjr » 06 Aug 2018, 02:47

Welcome :)

Nozzle length also needs changing, and also infill extrusion width, but there's not a lot more off the top of my head.

Zip up a G-code and project file and upload here; I will have a look.

Thanks

Peter
Please note: I do not have any affiliation with KISSlicer. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage or loss.
pjr

Re: Befuddled by nozzle sizes

Postby bobstro » 06 Aug 2018, 07:13

pjr wrote:Welcome :)
Thanks!

Nozzle length also needs changing, and also infill extrusion width, but there's not a lot more off the top of my head.

Ah, nozzle length seems to be the key. I misunderstood that setting completely. I had copied values from the 0.40mm profile, so the extrusion issue makes sense. I just tried using 0.60mm nozzle using the E3D nozzle lengths quoted in the E3D PDF column C that I was able to locate after searching for "nozzle length" here. I just printed a test part and it looks good. I'll try a 0.25mm nozzle again shortly.

Many thanks!
bobstro

Return to Tips and tricks