HiDPI support/Graphics toolkit

coredump

HiDPI support/Graphics toolkit

Post by coredump »

Hello.

It's impossible to use KISSlicer on a Linux computer with hiDPI displays (what mac calls retina). I don't know if that's a fact on windows display too, but on linux it's just minuscle (I use a notebook with a 4k display that has around 280 dpi).

Graphics libraries have fixes for that, usually supporting scaling environment variables, but FLTK has no such thing (I use GTK with a scaling factor or 2, and QT5 automatically detects the needed scaling). FLTK high DPI support is supposedly being added to 1.4, that is slowly being worked on. There is one post on the internet about how to do the DPI detection yourself but it's a lot of work and prone to errors.

Now, FLTK 1.4 is breaking the ABI with 1.3.4 and reworking a lot of stuff, what will probably require a lot of work from KISSlicer side to adapt, so my suggestion would be to actually move away from FTLK to a more widely supported toolkit like QT or GTK (that are proven multiplatform, supported, and visually appealing, so it doesn't look like the application is being made in 1992).

Thanks for the good work!
sl1pkn07

Re: HiDPI support/Graphics toolkit

Post by sl1pkn07 »

Hi (my first post)

Same problem here (Asus desktop diaplay 4K, but NON-HiDPI pannel only 157dpi .pure HiDPI is <200)

seems FLTK have support for HDPI in updated releases

https://www.fltk.org/articles.php?L1630+I40+T+P1+Q

but the scaling factor feature only works in FLTK 1.4.x (kisslicer build FLTK in static linked mode. so build with newer FLTK is not a problem)

any chance for build kisslicer with FLTK 1.4.x?

greetings
yodor

Re: HiDPI support/Graphics toolkit

Post by yodor »

Hello, I'm just starting with Kisslicer and have the same issue. My monitor is not even 4k but only 1080p but still the font size is way too small for me to read comfortably (maybe I'm getting old :) .
I've read that previous versions of FLTK use hardcoded version of 96dpi.
Can there be version with dynamic linking enabled so we can use our own fixed version of FLTK or atleast have a side way to solve the issue.
Please give advice on this .
Regards,