KISSlicer 1.6 Beta Bug Reports

pjr

Re: KISSlicer 1.6 Beta Bug Reports

Post by pjr »

K.Miya wrote:When I switched to Beta 2.4 for Mac, "selected-profiles and used-RAM are displayed left and right reversely.
Yes, that was a change in the latest beta

Peter
inventabuild

Post by inventabuild »

I'm printing some text on a part for a customer job and the second extruder always clogs on layer 2 of the text even with Preload set to 0.2 (I think it also clogged on Preload = 0.131892). I attached a text file showing some of the gcode. It shows the following sequence of prime / suck:

Destring Prime 24.6379
print gcode
Destring Suck 24.3997

Destring Prime 25.3997
print gcode
Destring Suck 24.7326

Destring Prime 25.7326
print gcode
Destring Suck 25.4968

Notice Destring Suck value always creeps up the extruder higher than the Destring Prime before it. Still the Prime to Prime Value and Suck to Suck value are increasing so not sure if I'm illustrating the problem that's occurring or not. I do know for sure the first layer prints fine, but on the second layer the hotend clogs everytime.

Would it help if I increase the Destring Min jump to greater than 1.5 when using the PreloadVE feature or might there a bug in Beta1.6V1.5 causing the issue?

If this is not a bug in Beta1.6V1.5, maybe Jonathan could add a feature that makes sure the PreloadVE + Destring Suck value does not go beyond a certain fixed or variable value.
Style Tab
Style Tab
Style.JPG (75.07 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
Material Tab
Material Tab
Material.JPG (79.61 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
2nd Layer Clogging Extruder - Gcode Excerpt.zip
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Attachments
Wizard Chimera PLA 0.4mm Nozzle TAZ 4.zip
(782 Bytes) Downloaded 112 times
Chimera 0.4mm Nozzle TAZ 4.zip
(456 Bytes) Downloaded 98 times
pjr

Post by pjr »

inventabuild wrote:I'm printing some text on a part for a customer job and the second extruder always clogs on layer 2 of the text even with Preload set to 0.2 (I think it also clogged on Preload = 0.131892). I attached a text file showing some of the gcode. It shows the following sequence of prime / suck:
Any chance you can upload the project file?

Project/Save Project As -> name, zip and upload as attachment.

I can then use that to slice something and see what happens.

Thanks

Peter
inventabuild

Post by inventabuild »

Printing with Hatchbox PLA I get wildly different PreloadVE values depending on the part used in the print.

1. Single 25mm cube - At 9 mm the chatter starts. Preload Wizard calculates PreloadVE = 0.45 at the start of the chatter
IMG_5642.JPG
2. Three 20 mm cubes - Whole side filled with chatter. Preload Wizard calculates PreloadVE = 0 at the start of the chatter
IMG_5629.JPG
Interestingly the #2 test with the three 20 mm cubes stops stringing at 15 mm so if I wanted to use the Preload Wizard for Destring I would use a calculated PreloadVE of 0.75.
IMG_5638.JPG
Nearly every print except a vase has travel moves, but my travel move print (#2 above) tells me I need to use PreloadVE = 0 so maybe that's what it should be for my current 750 mm bowden tube setup when printing Hatchbox PLA. If anyone knows why PreloadVE should not be 0 when printing PLA w/ a 750 mm bowden tube please let me know. I look forward to trying the #2 experiment above w/ Ninjaflex and comparing the results.

I really like the new features of Beta1.6V1.5 especially the ones for eliminating seams and the wizards. The Destring wizard helped me pick a good Destring retract value for my Hatchbox PLA and I'm looking forward to creating a custom token wizard to pick the right nozzle fan speed for PLA.

Kudos to Jonathan for inventing the first slicer with built in wizards (that I know of)
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

Excellent point about different models giving different results. For the PreloadVE tuning wizard here is what I do:

I start with a 25 mm cube, but then I round the 4 vertical edges. The reason is that I don't want the printer slowing down on the sharp corners. This lets the head travel at a constant velocity, letting the plastic flow get to steady state. For the Style settings, I use 2 loops with a 0 skin thickness, and 20% rounded infill. I print the loops "Perimeter 1st". Each layer ends with a high flow rate for the plastic (for the sparse paths), then the next layer starts with the slow flow rate (for perimeters). So when PreloadVE is tuned correctly the preload is properly handling both fast and slow extrusion flow rates. Note that you also need to make sure there is no prime pillar or wall selected...just the part.

I'm attaching the model and profile I use. Just place the profile in the "_styles" directory and restart KISSlicer to have it show up as an option.

thanks,
Jonathan
Attachments
KS_PreloadVE_Tuning_Wizard_Profile.zip
(9.26 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

Beefeater wrote:Hello all, I'm new to the forum. Very much impressed with 1.6. I made myself a list about 2 years ago what features to look for in a slicer, and Jonathan hit almost every one of my bullet points here.

Bugs:

1. When a layer prints faster than min_layer_time_s, Kissliser is supposed to slow down until flow_min_mm3_per_s is reached, and if that is still too fast, wait (dwell) after placing the layer. In the attached example, Kisslicer slows down, but not all the way to flow_min_mm3_per_s and not enough to avoid dwell. My min_layer_s=10, flow_min_mm3_per_s=0.21, but Kisslicer prints at 1.74 mm^3/s (16.2 [extruder RPM] /60 * 1.049 [mm filament advance/rev] * [3.14*(3*mm)^2/4 filament crosssection] / 1.15 [Flow tweak]) and then dwells. In the second example, I set min_layer_s=20, then Kisslicer slows down more, to 0.86 mm^3/s (8.0 RPM), but still not all the way to 0.21mm^3/s.

2. The wait command is formatted incorrectly for BFB. (Yes, I'm the dinosaur who still runs BFB hardware.) "G4 P813" is presumably intended to wait for 8.13s but on BFB this waits for 813s.

3. I'm not sure whether this is a bug or by design, but only certain specific values work for upper layer stride of a grid raft:1mm, 1.5mm, 2.5mm, and maybe others, but nothing in between. So I can't make a 0.5mm stride, or 1.2mm, for example. I can't think of a reason why this would be.

That's it for now :)

Boris
I'm working on #1 right now.

For #2, can anyone tell me if *all* BfB & CubeX firmware uses [seconds] instead of [milliseconds] for G4 Pxxx? I am working on a new Printer Profile Wizard and would like to know so I can properly initialize a setting telling KISSlicer how to scale the G4 command.

#3 - for the raft the paths have to be integer multiples of the extrusion width. I will change that for the 2.0 release, but I'm planning to leave it for this 1.6 release.

thanks,
Jonathan
alil2096

Post by alil2096 »

FIRST LAYER HEIGHT

hi, i've always 0.3mm of thickness for the first layer, I've try to change:
-layer thickness
-1st
and the three values on "printer hardware" tab..but the thickness dosen't change, is a bug?

p.s. i have the latest version, beta 1.6 2.4
pjr

Post by pjr »

alil2096 wrote:FIRST LAYER HEIGHT

hi, i've always 0.3mm of thickness for the first layer, I've try to change:
-layer thickness
-1st
and the three values on "printer hardware" tab..but the thickness dosen't change, is a bug?

p.s. i have the latest version, beta 1.6 2.4
The first layer value has been introduced primarily for printers where the firmware limits the nozzle going lower than this value and for me it is working fine. Previously, the work-around was to use "bed roughness" to increase the first layer height if it would have been less than the firmware allowed.

The three values on the printer hardware tab are still valid but are not associated with minimum 1st layer value.

Peter
alil2096

Post by alil2096 »

Ok, but if i want a first layer with a thickness of 0,2, how can i do?
pjr

Post by pjr »

alil2096 wrote:Ok, but if i want a first layer with a thickness of 0,2, how can i do?
Set your layer thickness parameters; if you want simple layer height of (say) 0.15mm, set layer thickness to 0.15, set Max to 0, set 1st to 0.2. Ensure printer/hardware/roughness, settle and offset all to 0.

That will make your first layer 0.2mm and the remaining layers 0.15mm.

First layer setting is the minimum height of the first layer, so if you are using adaptive (variable) layers or layers greater than first layer setting, the first layer may be greater than the setting.

Peter