CubeX With More Useability

gollumses

CubeX With More Useability

Post by gollumses »

I asked this question on the CubeX Google Groups Forum, but in several days, there are only a couple of looks. This looks way more active, so here we go:

When I originally bought my CubeX Online, I paid for a Duo. The box showed up, and surprise, surprise, surprise............... not a Trio, not the Duo I paid for, but a Singlo ;-) I contacted the seller, and they REALLY didn't want to deal with a return on something that size (and I REALLY didn't want to crate this monster back up and ship it back). So, we made a deal, and they refunded me a good chunk of what I paid.

So, now I have this nice CubeX with two empty spaces on the Extruder Mount. What to do? What to do? I saw an advertisement for a 3D Printer from China with interchangeable print heads (laser, extruder, and CNC Style Engraver). I don't really like the cutter idea, as the dust and shavings would get everywhere, and likely screw up everything else. BUUUUUT, I could see maybe a nice Helium-Neon or CO2 Laser. Since the firmware on the CubeX is already set up for three extruders, why not drop a laser head into Extruder Slot #3? Also, since (because of all you folks), all the CubeX Firmware Settings are changeable, things like voltage and amps would be about all you would have to customize (based on the specific requirements of whichever laser you use). Naturally, they would need more than 1.1 - 1.8 volts, but that is why they make Boost Converters! I am sure it is far more involved than I am thinking, but like breasts and horsepower: "Too much is ALMOST enough!"

Thoughts?

Thanks - Mike
rantzaus

Re: CubeX With More Useability

Post by rantzaus »

Personally I wouldn't but any weight on the bars.
I own 2 duo's and only use one extruder.
I disassembled the other extruder to lighten op the weight, giving more stability and speed.
Putting more on top will only lower the speed of your printer and make it shake when printing.

Stay with the one extruder and:
Increase the extruder voltage (see guide from Giovanni)
Upgrade to a Cobstum one hot end(cubexupgrade.com)
Change z axis sensor to the one from GRM products.