nozzle smush at finish

Frank F

nozzle smush at finish

Post by Frank F »

Something of a newbie here to FDM. Would appreciate any ideas/input/discussion on the issue I'm having. My prints seem to be having the
nozzle smush (not get out of the way) at the finish (high point of the model). Using a stock CubeX Duo, with one nozzle. Pics and screen shots attached. Also realize the "rice paddies" won't go away but any suggestions on minimizing them would also be appreciated.
Thanks
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg (68.94 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
pic3.jpg
pic3.jpg (52.44 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
pic4.jpg
pic4.jpg (93.18 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg
gastonfama

Re: nozzle smush at finish

Post by gastonfama »

Perhaps there is no cool time for the small layers.
Try with some 20 seconds in the "Min Layer" field. That will slow down the printing so the previous layer can cool down.
Tell us if it worked out.
Regards.
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

The min layer time helps, though the hot-end will still transfer heat while touching the part. For small parts I tend to either print 2, or enable the prime pillar.

Jonathan
Frank F

Post by Frank F »

Thanks to the 2 people that suggested it was a heating issue in the last (topmost) layers to print. I got curious about the Fan Duct print mentioned in another post on this site, downloaded the STL, and printed it. WOW! A huge improvement in the last bits
of extrusion filament to be deposited. It cured the issue I was having. The print needed some tweaking to get it to fit over the fan's case
and stay above the plane of the nozzle. It prints with 4 screw holes for rigid mounting, but it seemed to be slightly undersized so it made
a very secure slide-on fit and didn't require the screws...at least so far.
oppre1945

Post by oppre1945 »

where can i get a spare fan duct mine is broken after two prints( just peeled off between layers, a bit crappy) or do you have an stl. so i can print my own?