CubeX fan duct

rantzaus

CubeX fan duct

Post by rantzaus »

Hi

I have seen a fan duct design on thingiverse, and it's even posted on some sort of Google group...
Does any of you have some good experience using the fan duct or even made a mod of it?

I hope it will increase my ability to do bridges and overhangs.
gastonfama

Re: CubeX fan duct

Post by gastonfama »

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:243000

That seems to be a very good idea.
I have noticed that when there is some overhang end part, the PLA tends to warps up. And in some cases, some of the extruder crashes with this taller part and breaks the part or detach it from the plate.
In my experience, I put a very big fan in front of the cubex and seems to get a better result, but I think this optional will be a good solution.
I am wondering if this fits my cubex trio, since the fans are not aligned with the extruders, actually I have two fans on the front and one in the back.
I will print it and try.
Will keep you informed.
Thanks for the tip.
Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Hi,

I designed this fan duc, it help to cool the print. But it can be improve !
regards,
Hugues

www.cubexupgrade.com
rantzaus

Post by rantzaus »

Hugues wrote:Hi,

I designed this fan duc, it help to cool the print. But it can be improve !
Hi Hugues

Have your made any improvements since the version from thingiverse?
gastonfama

Post by gastonfama »

Hi Hugues

I have printed a preliminary version, but it seems to fit below the extrusion level. I think it will touch the part being printed.
I will test it when I can finish one complete. I have 2 semi parts ruined because it loses from the plate.
It also seems not to point straight to the nozzle in my Cubex Trio.
Thank you again for the design...
Hugues

Post by Hugues »

No, i think you have my last file. I stopped to use it when i ugrade my cubex with other hotend. This duc is too short for them.
regards,
Hugues

www.cubexupgrade.com
rantzaus

Post by rantzaus »

Hugues wrote:No, i think you have my last file. I stopped to use it when i ugrade my cubex with other hotend. This duc is too short for them.
But what is your experiance..?
Does it improve overhangs on the print?
evekites

Post by evekites »

Hi there,

I downloaded the thing from thingiverse and printed it today, but when I tried to attach it to the fan, I got a bit confused. There are 3 fans. One at the back and 2 at the front.

I own a duo, with extruder 1 malfunctioning, so I'm always using extruder 2. On which fan should I attach the fan duct.

Do all fans have the same function? It looks like the fans at the front blow simaltaneuos and function apart from the fan at the back.

The size of the fan duct looks like apprapriate for the fans at the front, but they allign with extruder 1 and probably extruder 3.

When I want to attach the fan duct to the fan at the back the Z-axis sensor is in the way and the fan duct is to large, though it alligns with extruder 2 (the one I am using).

Probably the best solution for me should be to swap extruders 1 and 2 and attach the fan duct to the left fan at the front. Any other ideas?

Bye

Erik
evekites

Post by evekites »

Update of my previous post.

I managed to attach the fan duct. I swapped Extruder 1 and extruder 2 and clipped a few mm from the end of the fan duct (to prevent it from touching the hot end). I also clipped some of the other edges so it fitted better.

I'm now printing my first peace. I'll hope it works.

Off course I will also upload a photo to Thingiverse to tell the designer I've build one.
rantzaus

Post by rantzaus »

Hey Evekites

Great you made it work.
The designer is one of our users; Hugues. He also own the site cubexupgrade.com

I bought 2 new hotends, the cubstomOne with a 0.3 mm nozzle. There giving you more detailed prints.

What is your experience with the duct? Does it improve your printing?
I am considering designing one fitting with my new nozzles.

Regards
Rantzaus, the Dane