filament use by length not volume

frozen.rabbit

filament use by length not volume

Post by frozen.rabbit »

I would still like to see filament use by length instead of volume in print estimate.
abuharsky

Re: filament use by length not volume

Post by abuharsky »

frozen.rabbit wrote:I would still like to see filament use by length instead of volume in print estimate.
+1
Garry Bartsch

Post by Garry Bartsch »

+1

Or both?
"And when people stop caring, that's when crime breeds, and criminals take over." Beavis
3dwim

Add weight (was Re: filament use by length not volume)

Post by 3dwim »

I use weight. That is, I know the relative weight of 1 cm^3 of the filament I use and I've put that parameter instead of the price. I do this because I don't want to run out of filament durin a night of printing just because I'm a little bit short on the spool at hand. To do a proper estimate I first put the spool on a balance, substract the weight of the spool itself and when needed I can change before starting the print. I sleep much better now.

So we probably want several (configurable) fields for cm^3, weight, length and price.
Srek

Post by Srek »

If i had to choose between the two i would choose volume. It is basicaly the single property that makes all the different materials comparable. I hope that Filament manufacturers will pick this up and put the volume alongside the weight or length of a spool.
Dreide

Post by Dreide »

For 1.75mm filament I put 41.57517 ($/cm^3) in the "CostCalc" field (Material tab), which gives me the filament length in cm.
[41.57517 = 100/(pi·(1.75/2)^2)]
GeckospotNixie

Post by GeckospotNixie »

Outstanding Dreide!
Thanks for the tip!
MendelMax 1.5, SeeMeCNC Rostock MAX V2