Z Offset Limit?

Z Offset Limit?

Postby Garry Bartsch » 30 Mar 2019, 16:06

I changed build surfaces from a 3mm piece of glass with 0.4mm PEI (total thickness 3.4mm) to a 3mm piece of glass with hairspray on it (total thickness about 3mm).

Since my z height in Marlin was perfect I thought I would just use Kisslicer's Z Offset to compensate for the new build surface. So I entered -0.4 in the Z Offset but my first layer wasn't right. It was too high.

I kept increasing the negative Z Offset till it read -0.7 but the first layer wasn't right. It was too high still.

So I set the Z Offset back to zero and went into Marlin and increased the machine z height by 0.4mm and the first layer was perfect.

Does anyone know why this happened? Is there a limit to how much Z Offset will actually change the z height?

Thanks
"And when people stop caring, that's when crime breeds, and criminals take over." Beavis
Garry Bartsch

Re: Z Offset Limit?

Postby pjr » 30 Mar 2019, 18:26

It would really help to see the G-code for the slice with the offset.

Peter
Please note: I do not have any affiliation with KISSlicer. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage or loss.
pjr

Re: Z Offset Limit?

Postby Garry Bartsch » 30 Mar 2019, 19:21

Thank you for replying. But I'm sorry, I've made too many prints after to know which file contained the error. I likely over-wrote the file.
"And when people stop caring, that's when crime breeds, and criminals take over." Beavis
Garry Bartsch

Return to Troubleshooting