Alpha Development

pjr

Re: Alpha Development

Post by pjr »

harrygeier wrote:I was talking to someone who left it out in a comparision of slicers in a magazine lately. He said he avoided it , due to it´s awful graphics and other UI issues
Well that's the worst excuse I have ever heard. Probably just an excuse for laziness :(

The look and feel of any program is just personal preference. And as a software developer myself, I do rather like the KISS "look and feel".

FWIW, I did hear from Jonathan last Friday:
...I'm playing with OpenCL right now, trying to see if I can make some decent speed gains...
I have to assume from the above statement that development is continuing, but has reached the limits of the current development tool.

Peter
Cthutq

Post by Cthutq »

...I'm playing with OpenCL right now, trying to see if I can make some decent speed gains...
I have to assume from the above statement that development is continuing, but has reached the limits of the current development tool.

Peter

Thank you very much for your answer. Now it is clear that the creator of the program does something and it gives hope.
Sue3DDesigns

Post by Sue3DDesigns »

Cthutq wrote:Thank you very much for your answer. Now it is clear that the creator of the program does something and it gives hope.
I echo this.

Thank you for letting us know Peter.

Talking about the interface, it is different, and there lies the problem -
The manual is so far out of date that noobs (like I was/am) find it a real brain-bender when starting out, especially on the Alpha... :o :lol:

Cheers, Susi. x
pjr

Post by pjr »

Sue3DDesigns wrote: The manual is so far out of date that noobs (like I was/am) find it a real brain-bender when starting out, especially on the Alpha... :o :lol:

Cheers, Susi. x
Hi Susi

Yes, I know. Davide and I have had discussions about the manual and there is a "starter" online, but just getting the time to work on it at present is difficult. You will no doubt know about HMRC and MTD and I have had to develop software to implement this for my clients. Problem is that HMRC are still moving the goalposts :(

Peter
Sue3DDesigns

Post by Sue3DDesigns »

pjr wrote:You will no doubt know about HMRC and MTD and I have had to develop software to implement this for my clients. Problem is that HMRC are still moving the goalposts :(Peter
Wow! You are involved in trying to code for that clusterf...?! :cry:
Hubby is a self-employed author - just trying to get straight basic answers out of HMRC is a nightmare.
You have my deepest sympathies.

I wish you good luck, and much patience. :)

Cheers, S. xx
harrygeier

Post by harrygeier »

Ok, we will see what goes on. At least i induced a lively discussion .

What Development Tools did he use ?

For me, personally , speed is not the big issue. I have more or less the same wishes as all others who posted in the alpha wishlist.

harry
pjr

Post by pjr »

harrygeier wrote:What Development Tools did he use ?
FLTK. This may not change.
harrygeier wrote:For me, personally , speed is not the big issue.
Ditto. Especially considering the print times.

Peter
harrygeier

Post by harrygeier »

i was reading a bit around FLTK. I would probably not invest my time in it..
it looks as if was hibernating for years..and recently comes up with a release 1.3.5 ...whilst 1.4 , 2.0 , 3.0 have been started and abandoned..

Anyway, it is as it is.. and better continue with the GUI limitations than doing a major rework using a more modern GUI Framework . The important things are the algorhitms and the math that create the path.
This page shows:
https://redandr.ca/vm3/viewmol3d_fltk.htm
that a more decent 3D Path representation ( which is once really neccessary ) is possible with FLTK and all other ..nice to have.. wishes should not be hindered by FLTK too.

harry
percar

Post by percar »

is there a timeframe when you anticipate further alpha development and release.
I am quite impressed with results coming from the alpha 2 release however I do know there is still some work that needs to be done on this release
Right now I am just looking for information on further development if there is any going on at all.
pjr

Post by pjr »

percar wrote:is there a timeframe when you anticipate further alpha development and release.
I am quite impressed with results coming from the alpha 2 release however I do know there is still some work that needs to be done on this release
Right now I am just looking for information on further development if there is any going on at all.
Difficult question. Let's just say that I received a new pre-release alpha overnight for testing. Just running a print now. But there is still a long way to go.

Peter