2 Printers, different settings

pjr

2 Printers, different settings

Post by pjr »

Hi Guys

Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts regarding the following:

I have 2 "identical" printers - Prusa "original" i3 Mk2 + MMU

One printer requires 2.5mm destring values for PLA, otherwise I get significant stringing during moves.

The other printer blocks up when using 2.5mm destring values, but runs perfectly at 1.5mm.

Does this mean that I have to double up on my material profiles or change the profiles whenever I change printers? Or is there another way whereby I can use the same filament profiles for both printers and have KISS adjust the destring values according to the printer selected?

Thanks in advance.

Peter
lonesock

Re: 2 Printers, different settings

Post by lonesock »

I honestly can not think of a workaround. Everything you could change in the printer profile would affect more than just the destring value. I am afraid you will have to use different material profiles, duplicated except for the destring length. Of course when you duplicate the printer profile and assign the matching materials, KISSlicer tracks which materials each printer has mapped, so switching the printer profile also switches the mapped material profiles at the same time. Still, it's kind of a bother.

Sorry about that,
Jonathan
pjr

Post by pjr »

lonesock wrote:Sorry about that,
Jonathan
I feel a "feature request" is imminent... ;)

Peter
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

pjr wrote:
lonesock wrote:Sorry about that,
Jonathan
I feel a "feature request" is imminent... ;)

Peter
[8^)

Speaking of, care to start a 2.0 Feature request thread? Once I get this 1.6.1 update out it's time to start on the fun stuff!

thanks,
Jonathan
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

I've been using duplicate material profiles for years to accommodate the differences between different delta printers. I prefix the prefix with the printer name like "i3-", "RMax-". D300-".

I find it very odd that two "identical" printers would be this different. I suspect that's related to the MMU and variability in it. As you know, some owners have had difficulty and others have had some success. Variability in the internal extrusion path friction. extruder drive gear alignment, etc might be the culprit. I have several "pairs" of printers and the pairs have identical profiles.
pjr

Post by pjr »

OK, so the solution to this is to set the DrvLen parameters to a value significantly higher than they are on the printer requiring higher destring value and lower on the other printer.

Not ideal (a Printer "Preload Factor" would help here) but the prints seem to be OK.

Peter
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

Interesting! So that does support my assertion that there is some variability related to the MMU between the two printers. Since you need to set the DrvLen higher for one printer than the actual measured DrvLen, that indicates more "springiness" in that system - which translates to perhaps more friction of the filament causing it to arc or compress more. Question is, do all 4 drives behave identically? I would think the "issue" could be narrowed down if they are all the same behavior of if they are different. My hypotheses:

1) all 4 drives behave the same (same high DrvLen adjustment): the excess friction is below or right at the junction in the Splitter as it is affecting all filaments above it the same

2) each of the drives behave a little differently: the excess friction is at or above the junction in the Splitter.

I wonder if there is a test to sort this out? I also wonder if others have similar issues with their MMU that can be addressed by increasing DrvLen.