PrusaPP

pjr

PrusaPP

Post by pjr »

Firstly, thanks to Jonathan for arranging this section of the forum...

PrusaPP is a Windows only (sorry) executable used to post-process KISS-sliced files initially written for the Prusa i3 "original" Mk2/s printer with a multi-material upgrade.

It was initially written over the 2016 Christmas holidays during beta-testing of the MMU, when I became a little frustrated by the lack of KISS support within the PR post-processor. (I don't think we had a functional post-processor at the time; we were just being fed with pre-sliced and processed G-code.)

The post processor has been expanded over time to include an "intelligent" wipe tower capable of working with variable layer height prints and also allowing each filament in use to have different purge volumes (example: printing light coloured transparent filament with dark opaque filament; the latter requires significantly less purging).

In addition to the Prusa MMU printers, the post-processor has been amended to work with other types of SNMM extruder systems (such as Prometheus) by means of user-specified unload and load strategy.

Post processor is available from my FTP server here: ftp://PrusaUser:resUasurP@ftp.rumble.si/

I am looking to include notes regarding program usage later in this thread, but I would also be very grateful to receive any fault reports and suggestions to improve and/or expand its use.

Thanks.

Peter
EddyMI3D

Re: PrusaPP

Post by EddyMI3D »

Thanks a lot for sharing Peter!
pjr

Post by pjr »

PrusaPP post processor usage

Ideally the postprocessor should be located in the same folder as the KISSlicer Executable. The post processor relies heavily on KISSlicer comments. Please ensure the "Include Comments" check box is ticked in the Settings/Printer/Firmware tab.

When is use, settings are stored in your %APPDATA%\PrusaPP folder

It can be used in 3 different ways:

1. Drag and drop a file onto the program icon
2. Double-click on the program icon
3. From the Settings/Printer/Firmware/Post-Process entry field.

Please note that the first time the program is opened, you will be presented with a pretty-much-standard disclaimer.

1. Drag and drop a file onto the program icon

This method affords the least amount of control over the program. It simply opens the dropped G-code file, processes and saves the processed file and then closes.

2. Double-click on the program icon

This method is more user-interactive that the other two. Once the program is open, you are able to change settings and drag/drop a G-Code file onto the program window.
If you have multiple printers, they can be selected in the settings tab before loading a G-code file for processing. The settings window will not really make too much sense until a printer has been registered (by loading a G-code file).

3. From the Settings/Printer/Firmware/Post-Process entry field.

Ensure that the "Post-Process" entry field contains the following:

""<KSPATH>\PrusaPP.Exe" "<FILE>""

or the optional:

""<KSPATH>\PrusaPP.Exe" "<FILE>" /PAUSE"

Which pauses between reading the G-code file and saving, allowing you to check the settings.

Note that the KISS token <KSPATH> can be replaced with the path where the post-processor is located.

Peter
pjr

Post by pjr »

PrusaPP post processor "Main" tab
Image1.png
Image1.png (40.3 KiB) Viewed 6564 times
Once a valid G-code file is loaded, a window similar to the above will be displayed

The list box down the left hand side displays the layers of the model and selecting any one of them will display in the main area what is to be printed for that layer.

The position and size of the purge tower is also displayed in "layer view". This is determined automatically during the initial loading of the G-code.

Image2.png
Image2.png (37.64 KiB) Viewed 6564 times
Left-clicking the main display area will generate the above display, which is an overview showing the whole model.

WARNING: Do not change between layer and object views or select another layer during the saving of the processed file. This is something that I need to disable within the program.

Please note that being intended for the Prusa Mk2/S + MMU the bed display is fixed to a specific size (250 x 210) and may not match the size of your bed.

Peter
pjr

Post by pjr »

PrusaPP post-processor "Settings" tab

Registering Printers

Before making changes to any of the settings, you first need to register your printer(s) with the post processor.

To do this, you slice any model for each of your printers, open the post processor and drag/drop each G-code file onto the post-processor. The post processor will read each file and register the printer named in the file with the default settings.

Close the post processor and re-open it with no G-code file loaded. Select the settings tab and then choose the printer you want from the Printer drop list.
Image3.png
Image3.png (44.32 KiB) Viewed 6555 times
In the screen shot above, we can see the default settings.

Extruder and tower colours can be changed by clicking on the small coloured squares.

Individual extruder calibration can be carried out (if necessary) by measuring how much filament is fed by a "G1 E100" command and entering the feed in the "100mm feed" fields.

The standard length of filament to be purged on a tool change is entered into the "Purge after load" field. Note that this is filament length and can be overridden using slicer settings (see below).

The "FW E Steps" entry field is used for extruder calibration

The "E Power" fields are used to enter the E motor current required when printing and during unloads and loads. This is not relevant unless you have a controller capable of re-time adjustments.

"Max Feedrates" allows you to override the firmware defaults.

"Retract when moving.." adds a 2mm retract during movement to/from the purge tower; helps prevent stringing.

"Slow Down Tower Moves" slows all tower printing moves and basically allows you to sleep...

"Do not perform cooling moves..." is included to support non-PR extruder systems which do not require these additional movements.

"GCode triggers" - these are the comment strings which must be present in the G-code to trigger certain post processor actions. The first two should be already present, but you need to ensure that you add the third as the last line in the Settings/Printer G-code/Select New Ext & Warm G-code text box.

I will cover the "Use custom unload/load strategy" in a future post.

Peter
pjr

Post by pjr »

Filament Purge

As seen in my previous post, the amount of filament purged during a tool change is defined on the settings tab of the post processor.

However, this can be overridden by adding "PURGE=nn" to the filament name within the slicer:
Image1.png
Image1.png (47.44 KiB) Viewed 6555 times
In the above image, I have defined different PLA types which require different purging values.

The post processor will use these values and adjust the purge tower accordingly.

Peter
pjr

Post by pjr »

Apologies to all using this post processor but for various reasons, I am postponing any further development on this project.

Peter
BeNe

Post by BeNe »

Hey Peter,

just read your message here :roll:
I have an Prusa MK2s with the MM upgrade and was thinking about to buy Kisslicer Pro because of your Prusa PP.

But now...does it make sense ?
Am i able to print "good" with Kisslicer and the Prusa MM without your Post Processor ? Otherwise i can stick with slic3r of course.
What do you thing ?

Thanks!
pjr

Post by pjr »

BeNe wrote:What do you thing ?
Just because I am not developing it further doesn't mean the PP isn't working; and of course if any faults get reported, I will fix those...
IMG_20171020_221525.jpg
Honestly, going PRO will allow you to print variable height multi-filament models with exceptional quality and you will find that the waste tower can be a lot smaller than with Slic3r (with variable filament purging); you will get your money back on the waste alone!

Peter
qwalker

Post by qwalker »

Peter,

Are there any differences between your post processor and the PRO version? I just started using KISSlicer and I want to continue after I upgrade.

Quentin