seam hiding with KS 1.6

woody3dp

seam hiding with KS 1.6

Post by woody3dp »

Hi, after tuning my preload and destring values thanks to the wizards, I want to tune the seam (gap and depth).
1- Can I use a 20mm box with rounded corners in vase mode or should I use an infill to test different values for gap and depth ?
2- Jonathan advised this in another post: "I use Seam Gap at 0, Seam Depth at 1, and Loop-Join set to 'Seam' as a starting point". Ok, I'll do this, but what do you have to look at on the printed seam to know if you modify the gap setting or the depth setting ?
3- I guess you must print the seam aligned on a planar face to test it, and then use a jitter to hide it. Am I right ?
Thanks to all for help.
pjr

Re: seam hiding with KS 1.6

Post by pjr »

I use the same model with tuning wizard profile.

0 jitter, angle set to front, join-loop off, perimeter first, 20% rounded infill and use seam depth and gap to get the best you can.

Then when you turn on join loop and jitter, there is no seam to be seen anywhere.

Peter
woody3dp

Post by woody3dp »

Ok thank you Peter, I wil try with those parameters. The tuning wizard profile is already configured like this in the link you gave us for Prusa MK2, that's very convenient :D
When you say turn on "join loop" and "jitter", do you choose "seam" or "full" concerning join loop ? And for the jitter, which value is a good one to start with, 30° ?
pjr

Post by pjr »

I use "Seam" for join loop and jitter according to the model. If it has corners, then I tend to use 120 degrees and set the angle centre between the corners. I think I used 75 degrees for the Nefertiti model.

Peter
woody3dp

Post by woody3dp »

Ok thank you, understood. I just have to experiment gap and depth values to hide the seam the best I can now.
pjr

Post by pjr »

woody3dp wrote:Ok thank you, understood. I just have to experiment gap and depth values to hide the seam the best I can now.

Yes, but you have 2 good starting points; Jonathan's (1/0) and mine (0.2/0.8) ;)

Peter
woody3dp

Post by woody3dp »

Yes that's right, I'm experimenting your values and jonathan's ones to see which ones suits me the best for a starting point. The most difficult thing is to know what to observe precisely to know which value you have to adjust...
Just another question Peter, when I'll find good values (preload, destring, wipe, seam gap and depth, temperature...) will I have to do all the same tests for each new spool of filament or will I have to adjust only temperature for example ?
pjr

Post by pjr »

I think you will find that when you get the settings thereabouts, they will work well enough for all filament of that type.

Also have a look at the paths after slicing; you will see what happens when you change the seam parameters.

It's only when you change to a different type that you will have to test first.

Please let me know what settings you find are best.

Peter
woody3dp

Post by woody3dp »

Yes I was already analysing the paths to try to understand which parameter does what (but that's not easy to read and to apply it in real) . That's what I like in Kisslicer, you can see an entire layer from the start until the end, I learn a lot thanks to this function.
Sure, I will tell you, once my tests are done, which ones I finally use, and I will also post some pictures. (I already have some pictures comparing linear seams between slic3r and kisslicer, and kisslicer is better, even if it's still not finally tuned. Overall, I have better all around quality with kisslicer :D
-=Spike=-

Post by -=Spike=- »

Hi,

I'm also struggling with the seam hiding feature switching from slic3r to kiss

Preload results in this
preload_ano.jpg
After setting the value I'm trying to find the best settings for seam hiding. I'm using the values from Peter, Jonathan and
Michael to getting a starting point. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but changing the parameters don't show me a
direction to getting better results. Values in picture are for depth/gap, left join-loop "off" and right join-loop "seam",
3.5 loops, loop1>perim, PLA, Pi3 MK2s.
Any hints?

thx, Alex
seam_ano.jpg