If you see spam...

plexus
Site Admin

Re: If you see spam...

Post by plexus »

Yes. I PMed lonesock to alert him to the spam. I dont have time to police it and it appears the mods on the forum don't either since they aren't doing anything. really this is lonesocks forum (even though I host it) so he should manage it. if not... I let him know that the forum will likely fall into chaos. it's up to him at this point to deal with it.
plexus
Site Admin

Post by plexus »

Special thanks to the new moderator pjr for helping to clear the forum of spam and ban the spammers!! great job thanks very much!
pjr

Post by pjr »

EddyMI3D wrote:This gets ridiculous!!!
Yeah, I tidied up yesterday evening - and again this morning; there were about 10 posts overnight...

I will try to keep these forums as clean as possible.

Peter
EddyMI3D

Post by EddyMI3D »

Hello Peter!

A thousand thanks for your efforts!

Ewald (Eddy)
plexus
Site Admin

Post by plexus »

Even though I set up and host this forum for Lonesock, I am not a phpBB wizz. so if anyone has any actionable tips on how to keep spam out of the forum, let me know. I did implement what used to be a spamproof rregistration capcha but that appears to not be effective anymore.
pjr

Post by pjr »

Plexus

It's probably not much use here, but the Prusa Research forum (phpBB) only accepts logins from the shop. If you try to register on the forums (which you can do) posting is not allowed.

Maybe if Jonathan could implement a login on the main site and have a redirect here then the problem would (mostly) go away.

Peter
plexus
Site Admin

Post by plexus »

pjr wrote:Plexus

It's probably not much use here, but the Prusa Research forum (phpBB) only accepts logins from the shop. If you try to register on the forums (which you can do) posting is not allowed.

Maybe if Jonathan could implement a login on the main site and have a redirect here then the problem would (mostly) go away.

Peter
I wonder if I can set things up so that mods (you :) ) have to authorise a registration before the user has access to the site? its not liek there are a lot of people signing up so it might be possible. if i can do this would you be ok with having to authorize registrations? it might be difficult to tell who is a spammer and who isnt though.
pjr

Post by pjr »

plexus wrote:I wonder if I can set things up so that mods (you :) ) have to authorise a registration before the user has access to the site? its not liek there are a lot of people signing up so it might be possible. if i can do this would you be ok with having to authorize registrations?
That would not be an issue for me; the only problem may be if I am away for a while, that would leave Jonathan only able to authorise.
plexus wrote:it might be difficult to tell who is a spammer and who isnt though.
Spammers usually want to get in and out quickly; even if a spammer was authorised, they may not post after a few hours. The other option is to have the first posts moderated.

Peter
pjr

Post by pjr »

One more thought...

There are only a couple of spams per day which I an removing; it's not really worth changing anything for that.

Peter