First layer height adjustment

rupert

First layer height adjustment

Post by rupert »

TL;DR: Add an override for the first layer height in the same way you can already override first layer speed and temperature.

I believe this is not currently supported, but it would be very useful for me.

The use case is that I want to print PLA with a 0.25mm layer height and 0.35mm extrusion width (the same width as my nozzle, which I believe is good practice). However, if the ratio of layer height to extrusion width is too low, each line that is laid down can catch the previous line and lift from the bed. Basically the extrusions need to be short and flat rather than tall and thin. To get around this problem I can use a 0.1mm layer height, which gives me a solid 3:1 ratio, but of course that is very slow and overkill when printing objects with coarse features.
Isaac_alaska

Re: First layer height adjustment

Post by Isaac_alaska »

this setting is taken care of with "bed roughness" and "z-offset"
rupert

Post by rupert »

@Isaac_alaska Thanks for the info and I think that covers it. I would like to know a bit more technical detail about those features, but I will experiment for now. Once more Cunningham's law comes to my aid!
rupert

Post by rupert »

I've started a new thread about how to achieve this with existing settings and would welcome advice: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=81&p=366