Infill alignment

plexus
Site Admin

Infill alignment

Post by plexus »

A client asked about the availability of controlling the angle infill prints with the respect to the model. I tried opening a model and rotating it but the infill follows the model. Their request is of a technical nature but I unsure if adding the ability to decouple the infill angle and the model angle either globally so you can rotate the model to control the angle the infill prints, or having it as a setting per model, would it be worth it? I could theorize that this could optimize strength in a particular axis more than another. I am just not sure of if that would be so and if this would make a difference and be worth considering as a feature.
Davide Ardizzoia

Re: Infill alignment

Post by Davide Ardizzoia »

...this could be a job for an HEX infill ?

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia
Isaac_alaska

Post by Isaac_alaska »

i second the original request, as a bonus it will help with bridging because you'll be able to orient the part so that the bridge takes the shortest path, rather than going diaganally
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

+1 on this feature! and an extension...

It would be great to be able to specify the orientation of both the skin and the infill. I see it working like this:

On the Style tab...

Add a "Skin Orientation" parameter that would be set to an angle. Currently, KISS always starts at 45°. Although it would be nice to be able to input any arbitrary angle even a simple drop down with pre-configured orientations would be very useful. For example (0° is from center to +Y): 0°, 30°, 45°, 60°, 90°

Then, each infill type would have a "Infill orientation" parameter that would be the infill angle. Again, constraining this to the same set as above would be reasonable if arbitrary angles would be too complex to implement.

These features together would provide a LOT of control for both the aesthetics and mechanical strength of the printed object.
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

I had KISSlicer enforce the 45-degree rule specifically for the solid skin layers. Long straight paths that are at a very slight angle to a straight wall will not bond with the loops. The printed test objects I made came out relatively horrible. Next, the infill angle and skin angle are locked together because of the internal model representation KISSlicer uses. So, I could allow the Angle-to-end-all-Angles to be user-set, but it is not realistic to have a distinct angle for skins. Adding in loop-filled skins is much more doable. Sorry!

Jonathan
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

Loop filled skins - +1000!!! (you know I've asked for that before)

On the 45-degree rule, I understand the concern but if control is put in the user's hands, better results can be had. For instance, the 45-degree rule really best applies to rectangular parts with the edges aligned on X and Y. What about triangular parts or circular parts like mine? In the case of a circle, the direction is irrelevant from a bonding to loops perspective but VERY relevant from an aesthetic perspective. I would much prefer the fill to be aligned up-down or left-right as one of my reels hangs from a rod, not 45°. I understand this is perhaps not a main stream case but there are other instances where control over the fill would be good. Even in your example, if the rectangle is aligned on X/Y, being able to do parallel fill parallel to one of the edges would give control over both the aesthetics as well as the technical properties.

I would be very happy with a single Angle-to-end-all-Angles solution, that would address 90% of the cases I've needed and would result in a better print for that other 10fi too, so it would be a win-win. It also makes sense from an implementation and "simplicity" of configuration perspective too I think.

So can we request (and receive!) in this order of priority:

1) loop-filled skins option
2) Angle-to-end-all-Angles setting

I would be eternally grateful!

cheers,
Michael
Davide Ardizzoia

Post by Davide Ardizzoia »

Wouldn't an hexagonal infill solve all those problems ?

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia
plexus
Site Admin

Post by plexus »

Davide Ardizzoia wrote:Wouldn't an hexagonal infill solve all those problems ?
No. What if you don't want to print with hex infill. Hex takes longer and puts more stress on the printer. Hex would be a nice option but for people like me who use "straight" most of the time...