Multi-Extruder limits

Epop

Multi-Extruder limits

Post by Epop »

Assuming... Printer > extruder hardware > x off 2 & x off 3... are for printer setups that don't save extruder offsets in the firmware/onboard therefore the software would need to adjust for the position of the different extruder(s).

If my bed is 100mm wide(and origin is to one extreme), but my #2 extruder is 50mm offset- my effective build envelope would only be 50mm (because #2 cannot physically reach zero to +50mm of the bed)
Any thoughts on having either a visual indicator and/or a limit offset for different extruders? just to stop me from placing a build where the extruder I've selected cannot reach... (I've found out my machine will crash if I do this in the software that was packaged with my printer)

Thanks.
3D Systems - CubePro Trio (triple head printer)
--Modified to RepRap standards using Duet and the x4 expansion
-e3d Kraken, heated bed added.
Kisslicer Pro licenced
lonesock

Re: Multi-Extruder limits

Post by lonesock »

Hi.

The offsets can also be used when the firmware has an offset for the other extruders, but the hardware has changed (e.g. damage or trying new extruder hardware) and you don't want to / can't recompile the firmware. So I don't really know if they are the actual physical offsets, or if they are simpy corrections to what's already in firmware.

A decent way to get around this is to model up the print bed with the available print areas embossed (or engraved), then specify that in the "Bed STL Model" under the printer settings.

Jonathan