Is this community still alive?

Discuss general topics that don't suit another sub-forum
dniezby

Is this community still alive?

Post by dniezby »

I'm asking this because I don't see more than like 3 posts from 2023...everything else is for more than a year or two ago.

I'm new to KS and need to know where I can find the best support. Also...is this still in development? I saw a board for discuss Alpha release but that's like years ago.
Dorje

Re: Is this community still alive?

Post by Dorje »

Last release was in November last year. New one was expected last month (if I read it right), but we're still waiting.
You won't see as many releases here as with other slicers, but then, the quality on print here is so good, you don't need much else :)
dniezby

Post by dniezby »

I have seen that this slicer is quite impressive over others. First, I don't need to have OpenGL so I could use it on my system...Which is a Surface Pro XP. So that is a game changer for me.

I just wish there were more recent tutorials on all these settings and how to make the best improvements.

I'm literally a day 2 3D printer and finding a slicer that worked on my computer plus learning all these settings has been quite the battle.

What I've seen so far with Kiss has been amazing and comparing it to the "popular" ones (You know, the one the cool kids use), I think it is far superior to them. I cannot wait to see what is coming...As long as I know it is still being developed.

Once I learn how to do some of these things, I think I'll make some videos to get the word out about this project. Promotion of Kiss Slicer is sorely lacking.
harrygeier

Post by harrygeier »

I am here.. was here whenever it was open.. and i hope it gets more lively. New Version is a good base for improvements.
yrabbit

Post by yrabbit »

Dorje wrote: 06 Apr 2023, 12:47 You won't see as many releases here as with other slicers, but then, the quality on print here is so good, you don't need much else :)

I agree, but some things are done poorly in general - bridges for example. Or don't think that tricky infills are nothing - their presence just allows you to do such experiments as fuzzy skin on the top surface:) https://youtu.be/UpRy_-K3lq8?t=564

Or if you are serious about mass printing, it's interesting to see techniques https://www.youtube.com/@slant3d/videos

where the favorite technique to ensure a perfect surface is printing at 45 degrees, but there you need point support, paint-on, not automatic.

So there is a lot of room for improvement, but I don't see any activity :(

(in fact I haven't seen a new post in months).

If interest in slicer is lost, maybe post the sources on github? I'd add the stuff I need.
frozen.rabbit

Post by frozen.rabbit »

Bridge functions are definitely needed.

This has been my go to slicer since 2013.

Print surface quality has always bested pretty much any other slicer I have ever tried, been through most of them.

I use Kisslicer, Cura, and SuperSlicer. More infill pattern options and bridging in Cura and SuperSlicer, depends on model features.

Forum used to be WAY more active. I've always felt that Kisslicer promotion and exposure has always been lacking.
yrabbit

Post by yrabbit »

Well I found Kisslicer fairly recently and am trying to learn it to replace PrusaSlicer - neither works well under DragonFlyBSD, but Kisslicer is friendly with VirtualGl and that makes it attractive to me.

You're absolutely right about the surface quality - I haven't seen a cube top like that anywhere else, and that's without ironing!

About bridging, it's not a fad either. The point is that properly implemented bridges have a side effect of solid infill, which does not hang in the air if it rests on sparse infill. If the solid is not attached perimeter to the previous sparse infill, it can bend and get in the path of the nozzle.

https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/issues/569

Bridges are more important than tree supports, which would also be nice to have:)

My printer is the original Aquila, a copy of the Ender3. I like where the Marlin firmware is going with the gradual introduction of Fixed Time Motion, which will give not only a new Linear Advance, but a whole bunch of shapers.
And I'd be interested to hear how anyone is using the new hardware features with Kisslicer.

Let's say I use Firmware retraction because I need to return less filament than I pull - cht nozzle. I didn't see two distances in Kisslicer. Maybe someone can give me a hint. etc :)

And now I'm going to apply the texture in blender and use Kisslicer to print the resulting 400Mb file (I already know it can do this and it's fast enough :) )
yrabbit

Post by yrabbit »

To clarify the previous sentence about the “hanging” solid infill - this is the kind of thing that shouldn't happen when the solid infill starts with the part hanging in the air. It is necessary to “pull” it to sparse infill and fix it there. In other words - a little bridge:)