Considering a Cartesian printer, looking for input

mhackney

Considering a Cartesian printer, looking for input

Post by mhackney »

Hello all, my friends over on the SeeMe forum would poke fun at me if they knew I was considering a Cartesian printer given how vocal I am pontificating the merits of delta printers! But, I do like to stay on top of things, practice what I preach and stay educated. That and I think the access to the hot end on a Cartesian printer will lend itself to experimentation with hot ends.

So, I'm looking for something with at least a 10" x 10" x 8" work envelope. I do want to build the machine, no pre-builts, but a kit is fine. Although, on the kit I would like an option for just the mechanical structure as I'll be using a Smoothieboard and my own hot ends on this machine - no use paying for something I won't use.

I've done a little research to see what's out there. I really like the looks of the Lulzbot KITTAZ. It looks like it only comes with electronics (RAMBo) and a hot end. Anyone else have experience with cartesians to share? My first printers were Huxleys and SeeMe's H1 and H1.1.

cheers,
Michael
inventabuild

Re: Considering a Cartesian printer, looking for input

Post by inventabuild »

I believe the MendelMax comes as a kit http://www.makerstoolworks.com/ and it has some good reviews.

The MakerGear also comes as a kit http://www.makergear.com/products/m-series-3d-printers and I also read some good review about it as well. The ratings on Amazon (assuming their legit) are the best I've seen there for any 3d printer http://www.amazon.com/MakerGear-The-M2/ ... =makergear.

Personally I own two TAZ 4's and I've had great prints and I've also had some issues, but tech support is awesome and they really stand behind their printers. What's cool about the TAZ's are that:

1. they now come stock w/ a PEI bed
2. they now use all metal hot ends (single extruder)
3. they sell a Budaschnozzle dual extruder and a Flexydually extruder which is a dual extruder designed to specifically handle flexible filaments like Ninjaflex in ext1 and ABS or whatever in ext0. I'm sure all metal duallys are somewhere on their list of things to do because they are always innovating.
4. Their new TAZ Mini has auto-bed leveling and their R&D dept is working on releasing this as an upgrade to their big TAZ's. Someone in their forum has already implemented it (the TAZ Mini version) on their big TAZ.
5. It was voted "Most Maker Machine" by Make magazine and "Best Printer Under $3,000" by 3D Forged.

I'm not advocating the TAZ because it has not been 100% w/ out issues in my case, just letting you know what I know and considering you like to advance things the TAZ sounds like something you can hack pretty easily.
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

Thanks Inventabuild. What kind of issues did you have? I will be replacing the hotend, controller, steppers with my own so I am not concerned about issues with those. Smoothie firmware supports auto bed leveling and soon, compensation. PEI out of the box is great. If you google "PEI print surface" the top 2 hits link to me. I've been experimenting and documenting PEI application and usage for about a year now. I love the stuff.

I mostly like the mechanical design of the TAZ. I suppose I could sell the RAMBo and steppers if I had to purchase the normal kit.

cheers,
Michael
inventabuild

Post by inventabuild »

...by the way Ultimaker also has some of the best reviews out there (for ex it's PC Mags top pic for a high end 3d printer and WTFBBQ on YouTube really likes their print quality), but I am not aware of it being available in kit form which is why I didn't mention it above...maybe contact the co to see if they'll sell the components?
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

I fired off emails to each of the 3 companies and made a spreadsheet with the particulars, pros and cons for each. They all use RAMBo and they are all pretty similar in price for the complete kit.

The M2 uses linear rails which is pretty nice, the other two the more typical smooth rods and bushings. But the M2 has a cantilevered arm to support the table/Y - not sure if I like the lack of rigidity that implies.

The KITTAZ appears to be the original V4 KITTAZ with PET bed surface and Budhashnozzle. The mechanical structure and build envelope appear to be the same as the new V5.

I'm really liking the M2 now that I've dug in a bit deeper. Comes with an E3D hotend so that is not "throw away" for me. and a pretty good size build volume.

I would take either the M2 or KITTAZ if I could get it without electronics. I've emailed both companies but have not had a reply yet.

cheers,
Michael
Isaac_alaska

Post by Isaac_alaska »

i'm using a TypeA machines series 1 plywood, it has a 9x9x10 build volume, it doesn't come as a kit (in fact i don't think the company even sells them anymore, they've moved on to version 2, but i've seen some on ebay) but i've had real good luck with mine. especially after upgrading to the hexagon hotend, glass build plate, and upgraded pinch wheel. what it has going for it over lots of the other options is that it "looks" like it was meant to be a printer rather than a bunch of parts stuck together, not that that really means anything
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

Thanks, I'll take a look. I'd like a very rigid frame and excellent linear guides. I plan to use .9° steppers and a Smoothieboard to drive this beast. Looking to get the best resolution and repeatability I can.

cheers,
Michael