KISSlicer 1.6.1 has been released! (+ new website!)

nuggetz

Re: KISSlicer 1.6.1 has been released! (+ new website!)

Post by nuggetz »

mhackney wrote:Wow, this has really just taken on a mis-informed life of its own, hasn't it! This has been corrected in multiple places on this forum

@nuggetz, YES you want to tune temperature first and your statements are 100% correct so you do understand it! Apparently, earlier releases of KISS 1.6 did not have the tuning parameter menu ordered to reflect the sequence. PLEASE watch my first mini-tutorial on the Tuning Wizards that addresses temperature. It describes the proper sequence - which is now ordered correctly in KISS 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 - and more importantly, WHY.

The experimental Preload is really just to get in the ballpark. What you are experiencing is probably a "relative" vs "absolute" extrusion mismatch between the experimental g-code setup and your firmware. A simpler way to do this is to use the Material wizard and create a quick material profile. If you have your DrvLen, NozLen and bore configured (which you have to do for Preload) it will generate a PreloadVE for you. You can then use this in the Preload Wizard - double it to extend the range to test.

Thanks Michael. I noticed the new sequence immediately after posting this and getting the latest version so I'm glad my initial logic was correct. Loved your video. Thanks so much for making it. I'm sure it will help others that are initially confused about Kiss to reap some of its benefits.

I wanted to double check my bore length but I'm not 100% sure what is being asked for here. Is this in essence the length of the threaded part on the nozzle? Is it the diameter? Is it the nozzle and heatbreak? The profile I have has these filled in for a typical prusa setup but I run microswiss nozzles and wanted to do my own measurements.
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

There are 3 parameters you need:

NozDia - this is the published diameter of your nozzle's bore. E3D V6 default nozzle is .4mm. Rostock MAX HE280 hot end default is .5mm
NozLen - this is the length of that bore inside the nozzle
DrvLen - this is the distance from where the extruder's drive gear engages the filament to the tip of the nozzle (technically, it does not include NozLen but that little difference is not important. A value within a few mm of actual is fine for this.)
Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 10.17.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 10.17.21 AM.png (94.47 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
nuggetz

Post by nuggetz »

Thanks. A picture always helps. However, if I'm interpreting noz length correctly, I'm mearuing at least 2mm on both my E3D nozzles and my Microswiss nozzles. I'm measuring from the square part of the nozzle to the tip. Is that correct?

I'm onto tuning flow now and I have no idea what numbers to start with. Window I think says 10-1 but was wondering if that's correct and should be used or if there are other values I could come up with that were a bit more on target.. I tried it in a previous build and a high number made my print head move like a rocket. I guess the next thing I need to understand is speed as it relates to flow in this context.
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

If your E3D is a .4mm nozzle, it's nozlen is .6mm - that is a fact.

This is something you can't really measure from the outside. There is a technique to indirectly measure it - the "cold pull" test. But in the case of E3D, they publish the bore length (NozLen) of their nozzles. I'm not sure what you mean by the square part, keep in mind that inside the nozzle there is a taper from the nominal filament diameter to the bore diameter. This tapered section is not part of the NozLen.

There is a theoretical max for flow rate so you don't want to go above that or you will clog your hot end. An E3D V6 hotend with .4mm nozzle printing .4mm x .2mm layers is right around 10mm^3. That's likely where the "10" came from. That is a safe place to start. It will move fast to achieve that high flow rate! My flow rate video will go into more detail but flow rate is dependent on the filament, its extrusion temp (which is why you do that first) as well as layer height, layer width and print speed. The formula is:

layer height (mm) * layer width (mm) * print speed (mm/s) = flow rate (mm^3/s) at a given extrusion temperature.

Here's a graphic I made to use in the tutorial I'm working on:
FlowFormula.png