Beta 2.22 Seam hiding glitch

lapo

Beta 2.22 Seam hiding glitch

Post by lapo »

I've recently started playing with Kisslicer and am really impressed with its output.

However, I think there might be a glitch with the seam hiding logic.
I've set KS to hide the seam on a corner on a model with a semicircular plan.

I initially exported the model from Solidworks without taking any care as to its alignment (which ended up about 15º off the X axis) and KS set the seam to be about 15% away from the corner along the curved edge.

When I rotated the model in Solidworks so that the straight edge was along the X axis and reopened it in KS, the seam was correctly located at the corner.

No other changes were made to the model.

Cheers,

Lapo
PenskeGuy

Re: Beta 2.22 Seam hiding glitch

Post by PenskeGuy »

You can choose what angle the seam is placed upon. It defaults to 45 degrees clockwise. This would be a corner of a cube placed parallel to X and Y. Rotating your model, so that the flat surface was parallel to X set the seam at that corner, as it was recognized as being a default corner by the 'automatic' placement (which used to be the only method) and the dial was also set at 45 degrees.
lapo

Post by lapo »

Thanks for the clarification.
I didn't know that it had a "fixed" location for the seam hiding. I just assumed KS "found" a corner as part of its slicing logic and used it.

With that in mind, however, it still appears to determine the "corner" based on the object's native coordinates rather than the way it is rotated on the base within KS.
Not sure if that is the most user friendly way to do this but at least now it makes sense.

Cheers,

Lapo
PenskeGuy

Post by PenskeGuy »

It's asking a lot to expect that a slicer will choose the corner you want. This part may be simple (to you) but to the program it's all ambiguous; especially in a more complex part. Where do you draw the line?

Did you find the dial to set the seam angle? Usually, if you get that set close to the target, KS will locate the corner.
orcinus

Post by orcinus »

If i recall correctly, that's precisely what it does - it tries to find the closest corner to some default "origin" which is likely X0, Y0.
The angle is then offset from that (randomish) corner.

At least that's what it used to work like back in pre 1.5.

I believe Jonathan once mentioned there's some extra bit of logic to it on top of that (if there is a corner that's more "internal" than the others, it will pick that over ones that are more exposed to the outside - i might've mixed things up, though, and that might've just been someone's wishful thinking).