1.6 - I can't use it anymore.

abuharsky

1.6 - I can't use it anymore.

Post by abuharsky »

1.6 have a lot of new great features.
But I can't use it anymore.

So, I love KISSlicer, I use it last years. But after few weeks of tryings to tune preload - I got no result.
I tried everything.

Please, add ability to use oldschool "retract" as option.
lonesock

Re: 1.6 - I can't use it anymore.

Post by lonesock »

abuharsky wrote:1.6 have a lot of new great features.

So, I love KISSlicer, I use it last years. But after few weeks of tryings to tune preload - I got no result.
I tried everything.

You have probably done this before and I missed it, but would you please upload a zip of a simple test model and a KISSlicer Project file? I will take a look at it. What kind of printer are you using?

Please note that the current "Destring" is basically the old prime and retract method, with the added restriction that Prime and Retract lengths and speed are the same.

thanks,
Jonathan
abuharsky

Post by abuharsky »

lonesock wrote:
abuharsky wrote:1.6 have a lot of new great features.

I tried everything.

You have probably done this before and I missed it, but would you please upload a zip of a simple test model and a KISSlicer Project file? I will take a look at it. What kind of printer are you using?

Please note that the current "Destring" is basically the old prime and retract method, with the added restriction that Prime and Retract lengths and speed are the same.

thanks,
Jonathan
it is so difficult to show you simple cube or few cylinders model or some other simple model. Simple models prints not bad.
But when I try to print something more complex I can't get good print.

Most common problems:
1) sometimes extruder grinds filament, but with other slicers and static retract settings: length=2mm and speed=25mm/s I always got normal prints for last few months.
2) very often Straight infill looks like on this picture https://www.simplify3d.com/wp-content/u ... Infill.jpg (But this does not happen permanently, but from time to time)
3) on small parts on printed model (for example mustaches on head model) over extrusion
4) on some paths at start very often I got holes

All my problems with filament retraction.

I tried everything with Preload and Destring tuning... so... no result.

My hardware is DIY Ultimaker 2 clone with:
- Mega2560+Ramps1.4,
- titan extruder, 3mm filament (I prefer ABS),
- bowden tube 700m,
- TMC2208 drivers tuned without step-skipping on my speeds. (I use printing speeds from 30/s to 60mm/s and retraction speeds 20-40mm/s)
pjr

Post by pjr »

I believe the theory is that setting "PreloadVE" to zero will cause 1.6 to behave very much the same as 1.5.

Is it worthwhile trying lower retraction speeds (maybe 10mm/s)?

Peter
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

abuharsky wrote:...
it is so difficult to show you simple cube or few cylinders model or some other simple model. Simple models prints not bad.
- Mega2560+Ramps1.4,
- bowden tube 700m,
- TMC2208 drivers tuned without step-skipping on my speeds. (I use printing speeds from 30/s to 60mm/s and retraction speeds 20-40mm/s)
Thank you for explaining. Could you please run KISSlicer, select the profiles you tried most recently, then go to the [Project] menu and select "Save Project As". If you could zip and attach that file it would be very helpful.

Peter is correct, with Preload disabled (either PreloadVE is 0, or any of the NozDia, NozLen, DrvLen values are 0 on the extruder config tab) KISSlicer uses the old Destring behavior exclusively. The only difference is that in KISSlicer 1.5 you could pick different prime and retract lengths, and different prime and retract speeds. In KISSlicer 1.6 you the prime and retract length are both "Destring [mm]", and the speeds for both prime and retract are "velDstr [mm/s]".

thanks,
Jonathan
hacker

Post by hacker »

lonesock wrote:
- Mega2560+Ramps1.4,
- bowden tube 700m,
Thank you for explaining. Could you please run KISSlicer, select the profiles you tried most recently, then go to the [Project] menu and select "Save Project As". If you could zip and attach that file it would be very helpful.

Peter is correct, with Preload disabled (either PreloadVE is 0, or any of the NozDia, NozLen, DrvLen values are 0 on the extruder config tab) KISSlicer uses the old Destring behavior exclusively. The only difference is that in KISSlicer 1.5 you could pick different prime and retract lengths, and different prime and retract speeds. In KISSlicer 1.6 you the prime and retract length are both "Destring [mm]", and the speeds for both prime and retract are "velDstr [mm/s]".

thanks,
Jonathan
Speaking of destringing, today I missed the destring checkbox in style, had to change materials. I'm not sure if this is a concern, though, because at least in this instance I found it was not such a good idea to turn destring off ;-)
abuharsky

Post by abuharsky »

lonesock wrote:
- Mega2560+Ramps1.4,
- bowden tube 700m,

thanks,
Jonathan
Project file attached

model - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:623560
Attachments
vvp.ksp.zip
(3.77 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
abuharsky

Post by abuharsky »

lonesock

Post by lonesock »

That is strange. I've looked over the settings, everything seems great. (The only thing I think I would change is the Destring triggering values. I use 2.5 for the Min Jump, and 10 for the trigger. KISSlicer will already trigger a destring event if the head moves across (or even gets too near) a perimeter. If it destrings all the time it's harder on the extruder, and it's actually tough to get the perfect amt of filament deposited when it's constantly being suddenly pulled around. [8^)

I am assuming you still get good prints with that same material and temperature with KISSlicer 1.5, or other slicers.

When you measure the thickness of a vase print, is the wall thickness exactly what you would expect?

I notice from the pics that there are a couple of places where I see some browning, like maybe the temperature is a bit too high for the plastic? (Btw, I used to print a bunch in ABS, but since finding ASA I have totally switched...I love the finish and the UV-resistance is great too.)

thanks,
Jonathan
hacker

Post by hacker »

lonesock wrote:That is strange. I've looked over the settings, everything seems great. (The only thing I think I would change is the Destring triggering values. I use 2.5 for the Min Jump, and 10 for the trigger. KISSlicer will already trigger a destring event if the head moves across (or even gets too near) a perimeter. If it destrings all the time it's harder on the extruder, and it's actually tough to get the perfect amt of filament deposited when it's constantly being suddenly pulled around. [8^)

I am assuming you still get good prints with that same material and temperature with KISSlicer 1.5, or other slicers.

When you measure the thickness of a vase print, is the wall thickness exactly what you would expect?

I notice from the pics that there are a couple of places where I see some browning, like maybe the temperature is a bit too high for the plastic? (Btw, I used to print a bunch in ABS, but since finding ASA I have totally switched...I love the finish and the UV-resistance is great too.)

thanks,
Jonathan
Never heard of ASA before, will order a spool now, thanks, Jonathan.