KISSlicer 1.6 Beta Feature Requests

pjr

Re: KISSlicer 1.6 Beta Feature Requests

Post by pjr »

hacker wrote:Very minor, but I always wanted to have a rename option for style/material/etc.

Love,
me

And a delete. It's way too complicated at the moment; last time I tried, the backup restored the deleted items...

Peter
hacker

Post by hacker »

pjr wrote:
hacker wrote:Very minor, but I always wanted to have a rename option for style/material/etc.

And a delete. It's way too complicated at the moment; last time I tried, the backup restored the deleted items...
There is a delete? Haven't tried it in the latest beta, but it did work fine for me earlier. So when doing rename you have to copy and delete. While it's not a dramatic inconvenience, inconvenience it is.
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

inventabuild wrote:The aesthetics of printed parts can be improved if the direction of the layer lines is adjustable. For example I'm printing a part where it is desirable to have the layer lines print parallel with the text:...
Along these same lines it will be helpful if parts can be rotated. When packing parts KISSlicer could offer the most efficient configuration, but then allow the user to rotate the parts so the layer lines print in the desired direction for all the parts.
KISSlicer automatically tries for a 45 degree offset from long straight walls for bonding purposes...nothing worse than a long wall just sightly rotated from a solid infill path, not meeting for most of the wall length. That said, you can right-click on the model tab and select "Force Path Angle"...it has limitations (like it needs to be done after any transformations to the mesh), but should help.

thanks,
Jonathan
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

hacker wrote:
pjr wrote:

There is a delete? Haven't tried it in the latest beta, but it did work fine for me earlier. So when doing rename you have to copy and delete. While it's not a dramatic inconvenience, inconvenience it is.
I'm pretty sure [Delete] is back to working? There was a point where I broke it a while ago. If it's still broken please let me know!

Regarding rename, check, I'll wedge it into the upcoming 1.6 Release Candidate. [8^)

thanks,
Jonathan
hacker

Post by hacker »

lonesock wrote: I'm pretty sure [Delete] is back to working? There was a point where I broke it a while ago. If it's still broken please let me know!
Seems to work for me (just checked). Though I have a feeling I had some error message trying to delete something today with the new version. I didn't pay much attention, thought there was something still missing upon the first start in empty directory.
cjs

Post by cjs »

I don't know how much work it's going to be for Jonathan, but I would love to see support for Ultimaker 3 Griffin Gcode style and maybe also Ultigcode.
Disclaimer: I just started working with Kisslicer based on the good things mhackney has to say about it as well as a few things I read years ago. By the way: I love how Kisslicer handles the different profiles/print settings! :)

About Ultimaker Griffins G-Code flavour ( detailed explanation by ultimaker developer daid: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/2325 ... ay-1-gcode ) :
Basically they added a specific header and removed a couple of g-codes and added a specific prime g-code (G280).
This header needs to come first to not get recognized as G-Code not made for the printer:

Code: Select all

;START_OF_HEADER
;HEADER_VERSION:0.1
;FLAVOR:Griffin
;GENERATOR.NAME:Cura_SteamEngine
;GENERATOR.VERSION:2.1.99-internal.20160623
;GENERATOR.BUILD_DATE:2016-06-23
;TARGET_MACHINE.NAME:FDM Printer Base Description
;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.INITIAL_TEMPERATURE:210
;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.MATERIAL.VOLUME_USED:2060
;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.MATERIAL.GUID:506c9f0d-e3aa-4bd4-b2d2-23e2425b1aa9
;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.NOZZLE.DIAMETER:0.4
;BUILD_PLATE.INITIAL_TEMPERATURE:70
;PRINT.TIME:474
;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.X:0
;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.Y:0
;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.Z:0
;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.X:215
;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.Y:215
;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.Z:200
;END_OF_HEADER
I currently just insert the header into the start-gcode field and use kisslicer tags for some information. Sadly print time doesn't work as it needs to be in seconds. Don't know if there is a kisslicer tag for the print size.
After slicing I open the gcode and remove all the information kisslicer puts in before the g-code starts to get the ultimaker 3 to accept the g-code and display all the information.
Maybe this link helps implementing it https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine ... Export.cpp.

Thanks
inventabuild

Re: KISSlicer 1.6 Beta 2.4 is here! (UPDATED 2017-07-14)

Post by inventabuild »

StrannikZet wrote:Hi! Can I replace Short Pillar with a cube from which I could edit the parameters? I have a Y-extruder (one nozzle for two plastics), I have to drain a lot of plastic to clean the nozzle and Short Pillar is not enough for this. Thank you!
+1

There's several new multi material single nozzle hot ends, for example the Prometheus and the one for the Prusa i3 mk2, that require a prime tower to clean out the retiring material and start the new material. Peter wrote a nice program for the i3 mk2 multi material hot end, but each multi material hot end requires different volumes of priming so it would be nice to have the prime towers in the slicer instead of having to modify the g-code each time. Plus when I have to code the towers I have to figure out the best x, y coordinates for them which could be different for each printed part(s) if I want to keep it close to the part(s) and the slicer could automatically place the tower or make it easy for me to pick a place for the tower. Being able to pick the lxw of the towers would be nice as well so rectangles or squares could be made.

Interestingly, the Prometheus recommends a purge tower for the retiring material and a prime tower for the new material, so for a dual exruder set up there could be 4 separate towers, a purge and a prime tower for each color.
Last edited by inventabuild on 03 Aug 2017, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
inventabuild

Post by inventabuild »

The noise wizard reminds me of the patterns I was working on creating on the tops / bottoms of surface, for example zig zags, circles, box and diamond shapes, etc all with the same color filament, not with a dual extruder. It's a subtle way of giving a surface a more energetic look or effect without resorting to a different color from a dual extruder. The lines that fdm printers create can be used as an advantage for creating patterns on surfaces. Technically, this might not be considered a slicer function, but I thought I'd mention it since I read about the noise wizard today.
pjr

Re: KISSlicer 1.6 Beta 2.4 is here! (UPDATED 2017-07-14)

Post by pjr »

inventabuild wrote:
StrannikZet wrote:Hi! Can I replace Short Pillar with a cube from which I could edit the parameters? I have a Y-extruder (one nozzle for two plastics), I have to drain a lot of plastic to clean the nozzle and Short Pillar is not enough for this. Thank you!
+1

There's several new multi material single nozzle hot ends, for example the Prometheus and the one for the Prusa i3 mk2, that require a prime tower to clean out the retiring material and start the new material. Peter wrote a nice program for the i3 mk2 multi material hot end, but each multi material hot end requires different volumes of priming so it would be nice to have the prime towers in the slicer instead of having to modify the g-code each time. Plus when I have to code the towers I have to figure out the best x, y coordinates for them which could be different for each printed part(s) if I want to keep it close to the part(s) and the slicer could automatically place the tower or make it easy for me to pick a place for the tower. Being able to pick the lxw of the towers would be nice as well so rectangles or squares could be made.

Interestingly, the Prometheus recommends a purge tower for the retiring material and a prime tower for the new material, so for a dual exruder set up there could be 4 separate towers, a purge and a prime tower for each color.
Did you see this: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1948

The purge volume is defined within KISS; it's the cooling position and method which varies between extruders. The tower is placed automatically within the post-processor. And there really is only a single tower required; if you have a tower for each filament, then you have to change filaments on every layer, even when not required. With a dual extruder setup, there should be a maximum of one tool change per layer.

Peter

OK, if there is sufficient interest, I will amend my post-processor to work with any dual/quad system which requires tower purging (basically allow the unload/load GCode to be entered).
inventabuild

Post by inventabuild »

Hi Peter,

Very awesome print! How long did it take? What % infill did you use? Did you by chance weigh the Indian and the tower separately?

Your post processor for the Prusa i3 mk2 MMSN upgrade is very nice. Not sure how to adapt it to the Prometheus and the Prometheus documentation for priming then purging that hot end does not seem to offer the same ease of use and power as your post processor and I'm sure there will be other multi material single nozzles to hit the marketplace in the future; hence the reason I made the request. If you could amend your post processor that would be great.