KISSlicer 1.6 Beta Bug Reports

voyt

Re: KISSlicer 1.6 Beta Bug Reports

Post by voyt »

I experience very strange issue with RC1:
I can print a reference model (+- OK) with plain PLA but with Aluminium-PLA composite, the hotend gets clogged at first layer ( or raft, if it's set). At the same time the 1.5 version generates .gcode with the same settings that prints 100% without problems.
I suspect the filament stays too long in hotend not moving at the begining of print (or moving to slow)... As for this particular ALU/PLA.
But the drastic difference between 1.5 and 1.6 is hard to understand to me..
(I have calculated "PreloadVE" and tested various values like 0.05, 0.15, ..up to 2.31 Sadly - none gives trouble less start of print)
euroreprap.eu
pjr

Post by pjr »

voyt wrote:I experience very strange issue with RC1:
I can print a reference model (+- OK) with plain PLA but with Aluminium-PLA composite, the hotend gets clogged at first layer ( or raft, if it's set). At the same time the 1.5 version generates .gcode with the same settings that prints 100% without problems.
I suspect the filament stays too long in hotend not moving at the begining of print (or moving to slow)... As for this particular ALU/PLA.
But the drastic difference between 1.5 and 1.6 is hard to understand to me..
(I have calculated "PreloadVE" and tested various values like 0.05, 0.15, ..up to 2.31 Sadly - none gives trouble less start of print)
Huh. I just spent the last 4 days trying to get CopperFill to print. Blocks in the middle of the heat break. Tried temps from 180 to 225 and speeds from very slow to very fast with Preload settings from 0 to .5 and destring 0 to 2.5. Nothing worked. I put it down to a spool of bad filament and heat creep.

I think I will try 1.5 to see if that works...

Thanks very much for posting this!

Peter

UPDATE: I tried slicing with 1.5, but ended up with a blockage on layer 2, so for me it's the same :cry:
voyt

Post by voyt »

In my case the hotend gets clogged right at the start. I can workaround this by starting with plain PLA, then changing to ALU/PLA at +- 2nd layer. Then it prints well till about last 20 layers, when the printer slows down a bit and it cloggs again.. (Later I will upload photos and project files). The model for tests is this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:33974
Again: with 1.5 I can print dozens of these with this material - without even single sign of any problems...
euroreprap.eu
pjr

Post by pjr »

voyt wrote:In my case the hotend gets clogged right at the start. I can workaround this by starting with plain PLA, then changing to ALU/PLA at +- 2nd layer. Then it prints well till about last 20 layers, when the printer slows down a bit and it cloggs again.. (Later I will upload photos and project files). The model for tests is this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:33974
Again: with 1.5 I can print dozens of these with this material - without even single sign of any problems...
I just printed a 20mm test cube; some have printed OK, but as soon as I try the actual model I really want to print, I get a fail.

My printer has an E3D V6 hot end. Will try on my other printer, bu being the same, I expect the same result...

Peter

Update: Switch to my second printer (older and in need of service - bearings etc), a test cube printed fine (1.6) and now one third of the way through the Nefertiti model without issue.
voyt

Post by voyt »

WOW! I also have E3D V6 class printhead (with PTFE tubing passing through radiator and the upper/wider, threaded part of heatbreak). Extruder is the direct type (103 mm from the nozzle tip).
euroreprap.eu
pjr

Post by pjr »

voyt wrote:WOW! I also have E3D V6 class printhead (with PTFE tubing passing through radiator and the upper/wider, threaded part of heatbreak). Extruder is the direct type (103 mm from the nozzle tip).
I am running 2x Prusa i3 "originals" both with MMU (Bowden, 535mm), both with E3D V6 originals hot ends, but modified heat breaks. I even swapped out the heat break for a standard one on the printer having blockages.

Measurement determined that the blockages were occurring just above the bottom of the heat sink, where the heat break can have a step caused from imprecise drilling from both ends of the 2 mm hole.The modified heat break has a 2.1mm hole from the top end, which leaves a small step when reducing to 2mm (lower end); the heat creep was causing fluid filament to pass up to the step, solidify and prevent feeding.

If your heat break has that step, then it's most likely the cause. It is possible to (very carefully) effectively burnish the step out with the flutes of a 1.8mm drill bit.

However, I am currently printing with PreloadVE at 0.1 (velocity 10) and Destring at 0, min flow at 1.5mm^3, wipe 0, Z-lift 0.1, fan 0.6mm 40%/40%/100%, temp 205 (first) then 200, bed 55.

Peter
voyt

Post by voyt »

pjr wrote: If your heat break has that step, then it's most likely the cause.
Sadly - it's more complicated because I allready have eliminated the "step issue", long ago, and since then the printhead was working really fine with all kinds of material I tested (ABS, PLA, PET, PET-G, PLA/ALU, PLA/Copper, PLA/Wood). No clogging was happening as long as the fan on the heat sink was on during prints. And I can still print successfully with older version.

One case though my printhead can clogg with KS1.5 is for models with only tiny details forcing it to very intense retraction trigerring. Then, with the prime/suck set to 0.7-1mm it will clogg.. And for sure it is caused by the melted material sucked to the colder part of heatbreak.

I 'm writing my experiances this detailed to help identify the areas where (maybe) some code optimization would make Kisslicer more stable for hardwares/materials that may be problematic. :)
euroreprap.eu
pjr

Post by pjr »

Copperfill at 0.15mm layers
IMG_20170825_163433.jpg
Peter
voyt

Post by voyt »

:)
What type of printhead is it ?
euroreprap.eu
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

zimlorog wrote:Hi!

I've attempted to print this model using Stepover Control twice, both times around layer 210, it will inexplicably begin moving toward positive X and Y. As if it were homing those positions. I'm currently reprinting it without variable layer height to see if that is the issue. I've printed with variable layer height numerous times prior to RC1 with no issue, and 14 hours is a long time to go back to a previous version to test. Although if I need to, I will.

Included is the gcode used, as well as my layer settings.

I'm printing with a Maker Select v2, using a Raspberry Pi w/Octoprint.
Here is a build for you to test:
KISSlicer for zimlorog

Once you slice and save, search in the G-code for "nan"...hopefully you won't find any!

thanks,
Jonathan