If you see spam...

plexus
Site Admin

If you see spam...

Post by plexus »

If you see spam please PM or email lonesock.
PenskeGuy

Re: If you see spam...

Post by PenskeGuy »

Best advice from experience: Put The Stronger Anti-Spam Measures Into Place BEFORE Anything Gets Started. Do it now and you'll have less to mop up later when the dam breaks.
plexus
Site Admin

Post by plexus »

PenskeGuy wrote:Best advice from experience: Put The Stronger Anti-Spam Measures Into Place BEFORE Anything Gets Started. Do it now and you'll have less to mop up later when the dam breaks.
Alright... fair warning... these spam counter measures will restrict new users. on my other forums new users get confused as to why they can't post images or links. so I am going to look to you, the kisslicertalk community, to help new users understand why there are restrictions. just tell them, if it comes up, that as new users they have to post more legit posts on the forum before the restrictions are lifted and this is due to spam control.

I will get this implemented this week.
PenskeGuy

Post by PenskeGuy »

Yep. This is the way it was on the Original Forum. Nothing odd about it. Yes, some n00bs would complain about wait for their validation email to show up and/or having to solve captchas for a few posts. There's always someone who will complain at the drop of a hat. Anti-spam measures are a fact of life now and people should just get used to it.

It is best in this situation to close the barn door before the horse even gets the idea to wander. Put in strong measures now and perhaps relax them, one at a time, to measure their necessity. Of course, one never knows how far said relaxation is too far, until it's already too late and the seep turns into a flood. Once the bots get the whiff of a forum ripe for the picking, it's Game On.
plexus
Site Admin

Post by plexus »

We will have to wait as the spam hammer automods are only available from phpbb.com which is trying to recover from a security breach.

Eventually people and companies will stop using the internet because it simply won't be worth it (eg. Sony). as it should be. the internet was never intended for anything other than research and collaboration. i'll stop ranting because I could go on for days....

so for now just do what you can to moderate spam. once phpbb is back up I can get the files to install the anti-spam features. i thought i saved them on my computer but I can't find the file. alas.
plexus
Site Admin

Post by plexus »

UPDATE: phpbb's site is still down. we cant install spam hammer until they are back up. if you see spam please bring it to my or any of the mod's attention. thanks. please try and include the usernames of spammers in your PMs
PenskeGuy

Post by PenskeGuy »

plexus wrote:We will have to wait as the spam hammer automods are only available from phpbb.com which is trying to recover from a security breach.
That's reassuring... I remember now that this is one of the reasons I never used phpBB.
Last edited by PenskeGuy on 21 Dec 2014, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
PenskeGuy

Yep, I do. Didn't take long.

Post by PenskeGuy »

I go to read the forums showing new posts and there's nearly nothing but crap. I reported all that I saw. Lost count of how many. THEN, I went to the General forum and it is completely overrun already.
crocky

Post by crocky »

I hope you get busy soon.... It is getting spammed a lot at present!
Bob
Rostock Max V2, Filament Funnel, Angel Eye, PSU Breathing, 40W Heater and Screw Thermistor. Delta's Rock!
GeckospotNixie

Post by GeckospotNixie »

I marked a number of the post as spam also.
NO ONE SHOULD REPLY TO PMs THAT ARE OFF TOPIC OR ASKING ABOUT "XRUM--"!
MendelMax 1.5, SeeMeCNC Rostock MAX V2