Kisslicer Manual

BoriSpider

Re: Kisslicer Manual

Post by BoriSpider »

Tnx Michael. I got to a point that I had to delete all profiles and start all over just so I could print something. I do confess that the PLA filament I am using is a little old and from the looks of it the yellow works best, the worst color I have according to my wife. I sub'ed you on YouTube already and I still have the "Settings" video to watch. That should keep me til your new one shows up.
Edudelsur

Post by Edudelsur »

Davide Ardizzoia wrote:My new version of KISSlicer manual is now available for download (including calibration procedures).

MANUAL (V.040115)

Please let me know your feedback !

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia
Que Tal!
Soy novato y necesito el manual, de ser posible en Castellano, el enlace está roto.
Saludos
calinb

Post by calinb »

Honestly, I've just about quit using Kisslicer, because I don't have the time or filament to waste in figuring out how all the advanced features work (trial and error). mhackney's tutorials have been of only limited (incomplete) value. Due the its lack of a comprehensive Kisslicer manual, other slicers that come with documentation (and no extra charge to access third-party videos and tutorials, etc.) have surpassed Kisslicer in usable features. The manual that is the topic of this thread was outdated and even the link here is now dead.
KISSlicer user since 2012 (PRO since 2013)!
Sue3DDesigns

Post by Sue3DDesigns »

I totally get where calinb is coming from.
I would try to stick with it - it is worth it. I promise. :)

My thoughts on the issue (sorry about the book) -

Getting the silly stuff out of the way first - I am the lead Tech Support operative for rigid.ink. As such, I deal with quite a few slicer-specific issues.

I am really good with Simplyfy3D, Good with Cura and a few others, but KISSlicer (along with a few lesser-known) has driven me nuts when I was asked to answer questions on it.
I think part of the issue is that some of the terms used in the slicer do not readily match up with other slicers, add to that it having "KISS" - "Keep It Simple Stupid" - in the name serves to frustrate a lot of folks, I hold my hands up and say I was one of them.

HOWEVER, for an ongoing rigid.ink project, I was asked to check out the Premium version as we wanted to use the Surface Texture Mapping that KSPrem provides. In short, I have been forced to learn how to use KS.

One thing that has struck me over and over again is that the Expert levels are anything-but-simple. The other is that - OMG, what have I been missing?!!
The work that has gone into the slicer (am using the v2 Alpha), really shows!
Damn, I'm impressed.

Apart from the almost-DOS-looking environment (I understand why), I think that the main letdown for KS is the same one that Simplfy3D is still suffering with to some extent - THE MANUAL - or rather a lack of it.
I'm not going on about the Alpha, as that is to be expected, but v1.6 needs an updated manual.
If you want folks to pay for the extras, you need to make it a no-brainer, At the moment, I suspect a lot of people give up before they even consider parting with cash. Which is a shame as I think they are losing out.

When you go through all the information available for KS, you get a good feel for what is going on, but because a lot of it is out of date and so scattered, it is not the easiest of tasks.
Remember, I had to learn this slicer as part of my job, and got paid for doing so - not everyone is so lucky.

An up to date comprehensive indexed manual is desperately needed. :)

That said, major props to lonesock for this amazing slicer; can't wait to see what happens next. You sir deserve the beer tokens I paid.

Cheers,
Susi
calinb

Post by calinb »

Sue3DDesigns wrote:I totally get where calinb is coming from.
I would try to stick with it - it is worth it. I promise. :)

My thoughts on the issue (sorry about the book) -
<snip>
No need to be sorry--thanks for the reply and your opinion, Susi!

Please keep in mind that I've been 3D printing and using Kisslicer for a very long time. I actually took the time to figure out how to use all of the Ultimaker Engine (paid) features of netfabb way back when. Netfabb had some layer-by-layer control features that still aren't available in any slicer today. I just don't have time to do so much experimentation with slicer settings anymore to figure out the most recent Kisslicer features. I DO have a pretty good handle on all the Kisslicer features that predate Jonathan's return to work on it, however, and I am pleased that he continues to work on the program itself.
Last edited by calinb on 18 Oct 2018, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
calinb

Post by calinb »

Even though Kisslicer lacks documentation, I'm so pleased that Jonathan is still working on program development that I just upgraded from Pro to Premium. Sadly, I'm on Linux and only the stable versions appear to be available for Linux at present, but I assume the new features will eventually make it to Linux stable and perhaps even the documentation situation will improve someday.
pjr

Post by pjr »

Thanks for all your recent comments.

I will investigate regarding the manual.

Peter
Davide Ardizzoia

Post by Davide Ardizzoia »

Hello All
writing a new manual is a big undertaking for me - time is scarce and had almost no feedback on current version.

As soon as KS(2.0) is settled to a definitive (stable) status,I will start writing a new version.

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia
leleastro

Post by leleastro »

Davide Ardizzoia wrote:Hello All
writing a new manual is a big undertaking for me - time is scarce and had almost no feedback on current version.

As soon as KS(2.0) is settled to a definitive (stable) status,I will start writing a new version.

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia
Thank You
sinned6915

Post by sinned6915 »

Despite all the frustrations of lack of or little info, I still think that KISS is worth the effort.

I know that there are fans of KISS who do not frequent this forum often or even at all, and that is disappointing because there is a great knowledge base out there. There has been some initiative by 3rd parties to try and disseminate information for use of KISSlicer. mhackney for example.

Here is snolabs blog post- https://snolabs.com/blog/the-missing-ma ... kisslicer/

He links his discussion to outside sources like mhackney's videos and the like.

I first started using KISS and was frustrated by the lack of documentation. Even on the pinned 1st post here about the manuals the links are dead/404. I wish that we could just fix that first post with the proper links.