KISSlicer 2.0 Alpha Feature Requests

pjr

KISSlicer 2.0 Alpha Feature Requests

Post by pjr »

Please post your feature requests for KISSlicer version 2.0 in this thread, where I will summarise them in this post for Jonathan.

Please let me know if I have missed anything or added an item incorrectly.

Thanks for your help with this!

Peter

Full feature request list as at 10 Apr 2018 (if I missed any, apologies and please let me know):

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ability to change the inset offset for outer perimeters and inner perimeters (holes) separately McNugget6750

Add bridge detection - lay down a series of parallel lines over the gap McNugget6750

An option to reduce the extrusion amount on the first layer of bridges to keep the bridges from sagging McNugget6750

Ability to select a different extruder for infill inventabuild

Style setting for each extruder when each extruder has different nozzle size inventabuild Olivier13

Separate setting for prime pillar diameter Olivier13

Separate settings for destring Prime & Suck (speed/length) Olivier13

Raft - where the models have holes in the base, a setting to fill the holes in the raft Olivier13

Include loaded STL files in project file funBart

Option to display non-printing moves when viewing models/paths or paths funBart

Waste tower rather than Prime Pillar for SNMM printers StrannikZet

Definable angle of solid infill inventabuild

support for Ultimaker 3 Griffin Gcode style and maybe also Ultigcode (cjs)

Option to "avoid crossing perimeters" during a move (Inventabuild)

select the order in which KISSlicer starts printing the parts (Inventabuild)

Brim - also apply to internal first layer voids Olivier13

Brim for support bed interface frozen-rabbit & others

Support material flow gain frozen-rabbit

User-defined mouse button actions (or at least reversal) xmas75

Spiral vase mode Ronin & others

Detect sections of G-Code with constant retract/prime (which lead to blockages) and amend Voyt

Pillar options : allow user to choose if Single or Double pillar per extruder (Olivier13)

Preheat suggestions (inc Max Preheat Time for matls which may burn) Beefeater

G-code viewer Various

More options for fan usage (eg raft) rmat

First layer "elephant foot" compensation LaPointe

Print only the overhanging sections "Perimeter Last." layerone

Vary temperature and preload values with layer height PJR

Vary material preload values by printer PJR

Vary flow gain by path type drracer

Support and infill every n layers with flow gain drracer

Model rotation x, y and Z abecker

Intelligent infill - reduce towards centre, increase towards top abecker

inflate support when using raft rmat

Lock styles with paths Inventabuild

Select meshes by clicking on the model OR highlight the mesh when selected in the extruder mapping window PJR

Internal meshes - do not use solid infill (Tops & Bottons) when not necessary PJR

Allow Min Segment Length to be defined as a Min Segment Time value (Marlin - 20ms) PJR

Move model positioning controls to main window, model manipulation area on RHS 3DBastler

Individual model placement 3DBastler

Change style at set layer height Inventabuild

Show all G-code paths and extrusions (including Pre/Postfix) Inventabuild

Allow N[^] Layers to run on the first layer when set to 0 and let -1 disable. Inventabuild

Move/rotate objects independantly on build plate - Woody3dp

Split objects in to components and maintaing positions - Woody 3dp

Cutting models (in X/Y/Z) and angular cuts - Woody3dp

Supports from buildplate only (not from model) - Woody3dp

Manual supports - Woody3dp

Display axis at origin of buildplate - Woody3dp

Apply destring parameters to G10 and G11 BBMal

Seam gap for solid infill Inventabuild

Improbe Brim Latch option so it extends onto the model BBMal

Secure Wall to build platform (as for Pillar) Inventabuild

1.6 has more robust paths than 1.6RC2.5 Inventabuild

Wipe Wizard Inventabuild

Save Custom Colour scheme as a preset LayerOne

I'd like to see KS be more KISS (GUI) Jani

Better command line control Hacker

Gyroidal infill. LayerOne

Vary flow gain by path type DrRacer

Support and infill every n layers with flow gain DrRacer

Define infill layer height in Stepover mode (stacked layers) Ronin

Window scaling to allow use on high DPI monitors (linux) CoreDump

Avoid crossing perimeters, including internal perimeters (holes) Frozen.Rabbit

Variable first layer height based on bed model for bed "roughness" Dreide

Z view hotkey/checkbox (or a "view cube") Sinned6915

Skirt prime pillar option Frozen.Rabbit

Separate skin thickness between bottom, top, and perimeters 0110-m-p et al. (old request bumped)

Add concentric infill option for top and bottom layers 0110-m-p et al. (old request bumped)

Manual placement of models MSquare et al. (old request bumped)

Remember both "Open" and "Save" locations (set in preferences???) RichWP

Top layer "ironing" Wesc

Allow %age increase in first layer extrusion width Wesc

Increase extruder count PJR

Extruder mapping window - allow multiple selection of meshes before selecting extruder BrianW

Store model (STL) names, orientation, count in G-code export.

FunBart (copied from his posts...):
Maybe I missed some, but:
-Great integration with the Mosaic palette to reduce filament at the prime tower
-slicing in another direction for slow slopes (https://www.craftbot.nl/2015/07/08/y-is ... direction/)
-smart influence between the stepover and by that the automatically generated support structure. As now people have to much knowledge at which layer height / path width support structure is needed.
-more automatic wizards, that works always. As beginners don't understand that they have to adjust the generated Gcode for their specific printer
-a huge library for filaments and -certainly- printers already available after downloading KS in it's excecutable
-dynamic density: more infill near the loops
-flexible filament feeling: what's the feel of the flexibility after printing an object: like a tupperware box or like a rubber band
-warp compensation in 3D. all filaments will result in the same dimensions of a print. So not only XY, but XYZ. That needs a volume analysis of a print.
-editing of a 3D print: click a surface and the print will placed on the bed on that surface
-cutting: after generating gcode, being able to cut it, to review infill/loops/ perimeter.
-travel moves visable
-accurate representation of seams after slicing
-stl error repairs
-solution for accurate holes: as now, because of the slight overlapping of the paths with a small hole, that will always result in overextrusion. That needs to be actively be compensated.
-solid infill and support speed separate settings
-no speed slider at the style tab anymore. Just one optimal speed setting at the print tab.
-yech: I hate the 'associated profiles" checkboxes. Unclear and not functional
-but saving a profile set with an stl set would be the best
-too much gcode tabs for printers
-unclear and not explained tokens for the gcode tabs. They are now only for the happy nerdy few. Maybe they are handy, but not without a good explanation.
-that said: all unclear and unexplained features are nice for the nerdy developer himself, but if unclear for the average user, why bother? KS shouldn't depend of nice people as Davide and Michael!
-the ext map tab removed and integrated on the style tab.
-manual support generation, to prevent to much distortion on other surfaces
-negative inset, so outset for prints
-negative inflate of support possible
-real spiraling Vase mode
-better recognition of thin walls
-more consistent print sequence of small islands: as now -for example- first the infill is printed, than the perimeter, than other islands, and than the crowning. That's disturbing a nice print (as an architectural model with a lot of columns). Crowning should be combined with infill.
-bridging is the king! Because of the oversample resolution the gcode is always not exactly as the stl. And by that KS assumes things, causing clear bridged extrusions to be fragmented and by that ugly.
-so: oversample should be able to be zero -as it's the exact stl- and not result in infinite slicing times.
-editing possible, like adding text on the print (like 3D builder)

Also: a clear difference between the PRO and Free version.
For me (and as it is) multiple extruders is a difference. But the stepover function certainly as well.

In general, for the free slicers, Cura and Slic3R are competitive. But we all know that they both won't generate nice support structure or see thin walls.
See this post about it, I made earlier. https://www.craftbot.nl/2017/04/04/new- ... comparing/

So, when releasing KISSliceer 2.0: there should be a clear difference between the free and paid PRO version.
But: I wouldn't mind at all to pay again for the new PRO version after 2.0, when it has great new features. As long bugs are resolved for earlier PRO users before the 2.0 version.

You can't expect that you get endless updates of software. Seen the price of KS it's reasonable that you have to pay again when new really features are introduced. I think the stepover function is introduced to fast: it does belong to KS 2.0. And I think we should pay for that PRO function even when it's already in KS 1.6.
Seen Jonathans sole man effort , it''s a no brainer to me ;-)
rmat

Re: KISSlicer 2.0 Alpha Feature Requests

Post by rmat »

Im just gonna quote miself. Other than this, I really dont miss anything else anymore since 1.6 release.
It would be super usefull when there would be option of blowing air when printing on raft or support. This would highly adress problems with support removal from model when printing with support with same material.
Also fan blowing would be super usefull when printing overhangs of over some XX degrees.

Raft would need updating, lets say at least two perimeter around it and the interace layer should expand in XY a bit (1-3mm?), also inflate support doesent work with raft in current version.

If not clear I can draw something up.
Best regards, Matej
pjr

Post by pjr »

rmat wrote:Im just gonna quote miself.
Yeah, I have to go through all the feature requests and collate them here. Thanks for the reminder...

Peter
hacker

Post by hacker »

Bridging, specifying purge length/volume, real vase? (nothing new, but good to start the list:))
woody3dp

Post by woody3dp »

I would also like a real vase mode (but you already know that Peter :D)
pjr

Post by pjr »

hacker wrote:but good to start the list:)
I have the left-overs from 1.6 to start the list... ;)

Peter
hacker

Post by hacker »

pjr wrote:
hacker wrote:but good to start the list:)
I have the left-overs from 1.6 to start the list... ;)

Peter
I suspect all these items are there ;-)
LaPointe

Post by LaPointe »

Elephant foot compensation :mrgreen: (XY compensation of the first layer)
Should be absolute, not a percentage I think :?:
layerone

Post by layerone »

Intelligent overhang detection. It would be great to be able to print only the overhanging sections "Perimeter Last." Tall order, I know.
drracer

Post by drracer »

First of all let me say, that KSSlicer 1.6 is another brilliant release packed with plenty of usefull features, which are implemented with great sense for filament and printer abilities and behaviour. I really mean it - after trying other slicer software, their features often look like the developer didn't even bother to try what it might do with the printer. I've never had this feeling with KISSlicer.

I've done many tests with variable thickness prints and these are my observations:

1. avoid perimeter crossing (when possible of course). KS now moves the printhead over open space and small pieces of oozing filament get stuck on the perimeter of the printed part. There are many situations when this can be avoided, i.e. hide the pieces into the infill areas. For example my model tyre printed from flexible material.
The full story is here.

2. set flow gain for various types of paths. This requires a bit of explanation, but I believe it won't be hard to implement. All is related to printing in 0.05mm layer thickness:
a) sparse infill is now covered with a single (or two?) layer of dense infill just before laying the top shell layers.
This is a great idea, but works best with 0.2mm or thicker layer widths. With 0.05mm there is just too little material to cover the sparse infill.
The material does not make a solid layer, there are just bits of material stuck on the sparse infill layers. After something like 10 layers it may create a solid cover.
Setting the flow for these layers to be the same as for 0.2mm (i.e. 400%) would cover the sparse infill well and let further top shell layers 0.05mm thick be printed without holes.
Don't worry about the 4x amount of material - it will get pressed into the previous layers and cover them well (I've tested this setting the flow "by hand").

b) the same may be applied to printing supports.

c) bridging - set the flow for the first layer of unsupported bridge for the same reason. Of course, when I do 0.05mm prints now I need second extruder to print soluble material and not let any open bridge longer than a few tens of millimeter.
Setting this flow to ca. 500% (which is the same as for layer 0.25mm) would allow me to setup printing of my model tyre almost without concentric circle supports at all.

3) extend the possibility to print sparse supports and sparse infill to every x-th layer even in variable thickness prints (I understand that's harder to control). I'd set it for every 5th layer with 500% flow (which is equivalent for normal 0.25mm layer printing). That would save some valuable time and make the supports and infill more stable and less susceptible to filament flow drop outs.

4) when covering sparse supports and sparse infill - please make sure, that the dense layer starts and ends on the filament printed in the previous layers. That would prevent "curling" of filament over the unsupported areas. It would look like filling the checkerboard over the grid or layer infill, but IMHO it should not cause any trouble.

Please feel free to ask if my description was not precise or understandable. Thank you.