Calibrate extrusion multiplier before preload ve wizard?

Discuss general topics that don't suit another sub-forum
ksh_germany

Re: Calibrate extrusion multiplier before preload ve wizard?

Post by ksh_germany »

Wipe: When retraction begins, there may be some leftover filament in the hot end that can ooze out and create defects at the ends of perimeters. WIPE tells your extruder to stop printing a specified distance before a non-print move. This allows any leftover filament to be cleared before retraction sets in. If your WIPE distance is set to 5 mm then your nozzle will not extrude filament for the last 5mm before the end of a perimeter and leftover filament in the hot end will be carried for the last 5mm. Typically, a WIPE distance between 0.2-0.5mm is enough to have a noticeable impact. You do risk under extrusion or gaps in the print if this setting is too high.
guycobb2

Post by guycobb2 »

Ahhh. That reads more like a coast move in s3d as opposed to an actual wipe in PrusaSlicer which back tracks your path. Is that correct or am I misunderstanding?
pjr

Post by pjr »

Actually a KISS "wipe" can go either forwards or backwards, depending on the layer. But it is slightly more efficient to continue in the same direction of travel.

However, if you get Preload set correctly, you should not need to wipe at all. There are currently some issues with this though.

Peter
guycobb2

Post by guycobb2 »

Yeah, I’m about to give up and sloth back to S3D for awhile. The preload test doesn’t seem defined enough for me to know exactly what is considered good. If I pick what I believe to be good, my prints suffer from artifacts. As much as I’m not a big fan of S3D, I can get it to print pretty nice without a ton of effort.