KISS... what?

Discuss general topics that don't suit another sub-forum
plexus
Site Admin

KISS... what?

Post by plexus »

I was thinking about a comment that is often made about KISSlicer: that as its getting more complex, it is deviating from being Keep It Simple Stupid. I assumed KISS was with respect to the output. that KISSlicer would output gcode that was the simplest more effective tool path and strategy. not that the interface would be simple. I think the KISS applies to the output, no? or am I wrong?
lonesock

Re: KISS... what?

Post by lonesock »

Well, originally the whole slicer itself was simple. If I remember correctly, the original command line version let you specify layer thickness, extrusion width, number of loops, and the infill density. As the feature requests come in, the simplicity itself goes away. I am *trying* to mitigate this somewhat by having the various user experience levels, with sensible defaults set for the more advanced settings. I do need to revisit that, but I don't have enough data to set really good defaults for most of the new beta features.

My current goal is: do what needs to be done as simply as possible, but not simpler.

A while back I even entertained the idea of changing the slicer's name, since it really wasn't that simple any more, but wiser heads than mine reminded me about brand recognition. Also, "Keep It as Simple as Possible But Not Simpler Slicer" doesn't flow off the tongue. [8^)

Jonathan
plexus
Site Admin

Re: KISS... what?

Post by plexus »

lonesock wrote:Well, originally the whole slicer itself was simple. If I remember correctly, the original command line version let you specify layer thickness, extrusion width, number of loops, and the infill density. As the feature requests come in, the simplicity itself goes away. I am *trying* to mitigate this somewhat by having the various user experience levels, with sensible defaults set for the more advanced settings. I do need to revisit that, but I don't have enough data to set really good defaults for most of the new beta features.

My current goal is: do what needs to be done as simply as possible, but not simpler.

A while back I even entertained the idea of changing the slicer's name, since it really wasn't that simple any more, but wiser heads than mine reminded me about brand recognition. Also, "Keep It as Simple as Possible But Not Simpler Slicer" doesn't flow off the tongue. [8^)

Jonathan
Or just re-align the name to a new context - the final gcode output. which, IMHO, is consistently the simplest (eg. most logical and efficient) tool path strategy compared to other slicers I've used.