How to mantain original coordinates during import

Discuss general topics that don't suit another sub-forum
mcirri

How to mantain original coordinates during import

Post by mcirri »

Dear all,
I have a probably silly question but I could not find an answer so far. I'd like to open an STL file and avoid any adjustment of coordinates. Somewhere I've read that for Kisslicer on Mac you just drag the file in. In my case on windows it doesn't matter. Whether you drag the file or you open it I always have the impression that the coordinates are changed.
Is there an option somewhere?

Thanks,
mcirri
pjr

Re: How to mantain original coordinates during import

Post by pjr »

Humm. I think that KISS simply centres the model on the bed when a file is opened.

I believe that this is the same with most slicers (certainly with those that I use).

The only time positions are respected is when multiple files are dragged onto the program or opened together when Preferences/File Handling/Load multiple STLs into a single model is ticked, but even then the files are centred on the build plate.

Peter
mcirri

Post by mcirri »

Do you think it would be possible to ask for this as an additional feature?
pjr wrote:Humm. I think that KISS simply centres the model on the bed when a file is opened.

I believe that this is the same with most slicers (certainly with those that I use).

The only time positions are respected is when multiple files are dragged onto the program or opened together when Preferences/File Handling/Load multiple STLs into a single model is ticked, but even then the files are centred on the build plate.

Peter
pjr

Post by pjr »

mcirri wrote:Do you think it would be possible to ask for this as an additional feature?
No harm in asking. However, I am not sure whether the necessary information is stored within the STL file. I have a feeling that the positional data in the file is held in relative coordinates as opposed to bed-absolute.

Peter
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

Is this a case where you are only loading a single model, and only want to print a single instance of it? If so, I could hijack the bed position sliders to place it (at least close to) where it would have been in your CAD system. If you have multiple objects or multiple instances of the same object, this wouldn't work.

The new beta has the ability to specify the XY location exactly on the command line, which would work for you (use 0,0), but that seems a bit awkward.

thanks,
Jonathan
mcirri

Post by mcirri »

Sorry for my late reply. I saw it only now. Yes, generally speaking I'd like to have better control over the final position of the object on the plate. If I model the plate accurately on the CAD system and then place the object in the right position for my printer, I'd like the Kisslicer to keep it there. I like the possibility to specify a new position for the origin or, as you say, (0,0) which should mean leave it as it is.

@Peter: The STL has the coordinates relative to the origin of axis you specified in the CAD model. So to achieve my task I just need to have the coordinate system in the correct spot.

Is it possible to access the new beta version?

thanks,
Massimiliano

lonesock wrote:Is this a case where you are only loading a single model, and only want to print a single instance of it? If so, I could hijack the bed position sliders to place it (at least close to) where it would have been in your CAD system. If you have multiple objects or multiple instances of the same object, this wouldn't work.

The new beta has the ability to specify the XY location exactly on the command line, which would work for you (use 0,0), but that seems a bit awkward.

thanks,
Jonathan
pjr

Post by pjr »

mcirri wrote:Is it possible to access the new beta version?
Yes: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3evahzu5gfel ... FeGZa?dl=0

Peter