CubeItMod V 6.0 New Version !!!

agalavis

Re: CubeItMod V 6.0 New Version !!!

Post by agalavis »

Today I printed with raft and it was ok. Maybe too thin but i think that was because of my speed settings (i had the same issues with the walls so it is not a raft issue).
Hope this helps :)
Giovanni V.

Post by Giovanni V. »

First post of this thread updated with the latest version : CubeItModV6.03
Fixed a bug for Interface calculation.
CJWubex

Post by CJWubex »

Just to give some feedback: so far CubeItMod is saving my Cubex from the scrapheap, as I was getting tired of it not detecting the cartridges (full or not). It is beautiful to now have it just not care whether there is a cartridge loaded or not!

I have been using 6.01, which - other than taking some time initially to learn what I needed to copy where - has been working well. So instead I am having to deal with the usual troubles of bed adhesion, warp, bla bla bla.

Thanks for doing this!
CJWubex

Post by CJWubex »

Just to add to the feedback - this is what I have printed using CubeItMod 6.1over the past two days. It has four pieces which fit together (after a tiny bit of the Dremel tool). For size reference, the curved sections are around 4cm wide and all pieces are 1cm thick.

I am just cleaning up my files and it seems the last time I even bothered to try to print with this beast was in April 2014!
Attachments
BoreLinerSupport.png
Giovanni V.

Post by Giovanni V. »

Thanks for the report.
How many extruders has your Cubex?
Can you tell me why you had to use the Dremel ? There's a particular part of the print ( or Kisslicer's path ) that requires this?
You better use V6.03 now because if you use the support you can have errors with the 6.01.
Pgregory

Post by Pgregory »

Here is the .NET conversion of the 6.03 codebase.
It works with Mac version 1.5 beta 2.20
Put the following path in your post-process line (replace /Applications/KISSlicer/ with your path)
/Applications/KISSlicer/CubeItNet603.app/Contents/MacOS/CubeItNet "<FILE>"

Enjoy!
Attachments
CubeItNet603.zip
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 257 times
CJWubex

Post by CJWubex »

It is a Cubex Duo, but I am only using it with a single extruder. I have wondered about upgrading to KS pro to try two extruders, maybe to try PVA support with PET material, as I do not have a heated bed to use ABS. But first I am trying to get enough confidence that the whole thing works well enough...

I built the structure as four pieces that slot together, with rectangular tabs of the straight pieces that go into rectangular holes in the curved sections. This could only work if the tabs and the wholes are exactly, 100% accurate in dimension. I was not expecting them to be so accurate, and in fact the holes were just slightly rounded in the corners, which I assume is just a consequence of this sort of 3D printing. But all I had to do was round off the edges of the tabs just slightly to get them to slide in a bit, then a few taps of a hammer and it made for a nice solid joint.
CJWubex

Post by CJWubex »

So far so good with the latest version of CubeItMod. I just got some PVA filament in the mail, as well as the PRO key, so hopefully soon I will start printing with rafts, etc.

One rather odd not-quite-a-problem: I am repeatedly printing the same set of pieces (to be later assembled to a larger structure). The printing takes about 9 hours, so I start it in the morning when I come to work and I dont see the result until the next morning. So far pretty reliable, with this one odd thing: each morning the filament has broken about 3cm from the print head. The printing itself has completed, so my guess is that the final movement of the printhead to 'home' after the printing has finished is somehow snapping the filament. It is not a huge problem - fish the short bit out and start again, and the print itself is complete - but still odd. I think this has happened four times in a row now! And there is plenty of length between the printhead and the spool - see photo!
Attachments
long_filament.jpg
long_filament.jpg (48.37 KiB) Viewed 7056 times
Pgregory

Post by Pgregory »

It is always fun to see how others modify their Cubex for overhead spools.
built a free-standing base out of plywood and 2x4's.
I used plastic waterproof containers to hold up to 3 spools and desiccant to keep humidity down.
I added an exhaust tube over the top of the printer to suck out any fumes.
It runs off the heated bed's aux power - it turns off when the print completes.
thumb_100_0419_1024.jpg
Giovanni V.

Post by Giovanni V. »

The PLA filament is very sensitive to humidity that's why it breaks, if you don't dry it within a few days it could break during the print.
CJWubex wrote:So far so good with the latest version of CubeItMod. I just got some PVA filament in the mail, as well as the PRO key, so hopefully soon I will start printing with rafts, etc.

One rather odd not-quite-a-problem: I am repeatedly printing the same set of pieces (to be later assembled to a larger structure). The printing takes about 9 hours, so I start it in the morning when I come to work and I dont see the result until the next morning. So far pretty reliable, with this one odd thing: each morning the filament has broken about 3cm from the print head. The printing itself has completed, so my guess is that the final movement of the printhead to 'home' after the printing has finished is somehow snapping the filament. It is not a huge problem - fish the short bit out and start again, and the print itself is complete - but still odd. I think this has happened four times in a row now! And there is plenty of length between the printhead and the spool - see photo!