Cubex Trio

John_Chalinder

Cubex Trio

Post by John_Chalinder »

This Sunday (May 28, 2017) I will become the owner of a Cubex Trio.
I would appreciate any help getting started with it.
Specifically:
Any way to get around the need for a Cubex cartridge ($$$) and the ability to use cheaper bulk spools of filament?
Any optimization of configuration to obtain the best results (only using PLA for now).
How do I roll back the version of the Cubex software?
Best way to assure good adhesion and easy release of printed item from the plate?
Would it be worth while to make clear covers for the open spaces to retain heat during the build?
...and any other suggestions that will make my experience pleasurable?
Thanks to all in advance.
dang8

Re: Cubex Trio

Post by dang8 »

Would love to know this as well.
Epop

Post by Epop »

The 3DS Cartridges use an encrypted chip in the base and there is a read-write cycle in the firmware.
no read/write? no print.
no filament remaining according to the chip? no print.
I've heard there is a way to build a chip hacker thing but if I recall it was a lot of work.

I stopped using 3DS because there was no solution through them for obtaining better results, other than 'wait for the next patch and maybe it'll work'.

On the CubePRO there was no way to roll the firmware back. 3DS (when I still spoke to them) would not send previous version patches even when new version introduced errors/bugs in the printer function.

practice with the 'magic glue' or whatever they call it is the only way I found. I typically applied too much and destroyed the print or making divots in the print plate trying to get it off. I even tried soaking plate for a week(7 days, 24 hours a day) in a 5gal bucket full of water... it did not work. Maybe try a pressure washer?
Or... of course too little and the corners peeled or the center bubbled.

Covering the open spaces to enclose the build area will... generally... improve results, Air conditioning kicks on and the printer is near a vent? no good... open the door and a strong breeze wafts thru ? maybe not as bad as AC but a lot of people seem to have jamming or print issues when there is a fluctuation in ambient temp.
3D Systems - CubePro Trio (triple head printer)
--Modified to RepRap standards using Duet and the x4 expansion
-e3d Kraken, heated bed added.
Kisslicer Pro licenced
CJWubex

Post by CJWubex »

Firstly, look at other posts to the board, particularly threads mentioning CubitMod. Certainly with Kisslicer/cubitmod my system is running without the Cubex filament cartridges. I made my own, external arrangement.

Secondly, I installed an optical Z-stopper from CubexUpgrade. But I am not sure this company is still making this product. Certainly the Z-stop adjustment that comes as standard is too variable to be useful, and the optical has made my system MUCH easier to use.

Thirdly, I have a CubeX Duo. One of the really tricky things is to keep the two print heads level. Obviously it is crucial that the filament from the different nozzle is deposited with the right gap to the object being printed. There is no fine adjustment of this in the way the Cubex is built. The best you can do is loosen the extruder screws and crank the bed up to touch the extruders and force them to be level, then tighten the screws.

I can now print small (ca 10cm in the plane ofthe bed - have not tried much more) objects from PLA. This is useful for some things, but disappointing considering the size of the printer.
jimttx

Post by jimttx »

I have a CubeX Trio. Several years I purchased a prototype board that defeats the chip in the cartridge. I have been using it for at least 4 years without a problem. This looks like they have made a production version.

https://www.cubesaver3d.com/product-page/cs-cubextrio