Is the juice worth the squeeze....?

boggieman71

Is the juice worth the squeeze....?

Post by boggieman71 »

To all CubeX users:

I am a Gaming Geek. I play D&D and Pathfinder RPGs. I purchased a 3D printer because I want to print terrain pieces and game miniatures from the .stl files offered by
Fat Dragon Games, Printable Scenery, and Thingiverse.

I purchased my CubeX (Single) off of Craigslist this July Fourth weekend this year for $300 unopened in the box. The seller said I will never find a printer of this quality for the price he was asking. I took it home and registered it with the manufacturer and (truth be told) was kind of surprised that it was not reported stolen or what not. My original cartridge filament snapped even before my first print was done. After a little research I saw the spool mounts. I built one and purchased a roll of Dremel PLA from Best Buy. It, coupled with the original slicing software turned out great prints. Then inevitably I learned (more like found out) the cartridge chip and its role with the printer. To make matters worse I learned about the cost of replacement cartridges! After digging around I learned about this site.

I intend to get a new nozzle and z-sensor. As a whole, can I expect repeated better quality and most of all hassle free printing after the mods? I do not mind making the investment, but have no desire to baby sit this thing all the time. I would rather sell it for parts and buy a different printer all together. I get the vibe that most of you 3D systems users are pretty much content with your printers once you get the bugs ironed out. I have no need for super fine high quality prints. My main concern is the tiles actually lock together, assemble correctly, function properly, and look good when painted for game play.

Additionally, if any of you out there are into printing fantasy terrain I am open to suggestions, tips, slicer settings, or anything else you could offer to get better results when printing terrain.

In closing, I like the simplicity of setting up the CubeX. I like the print volume of the printer and the bed dimensions are not to shabby from what I saw compared to other printers. What my final question is: Is the juice worth the squeeze...?
gastonfama

Re: Is the juice worth the squeeze....?

Post by gastonfama »

Hi.
I have a Cubex Trio, and I got very high quality pieces without any mod using the Kisslicer/Cubeitmod duet.
Do not expect high speed from the cubex...
Patience is a virtue...
The Z-sensor only improve the first layer accuracy. It takes me 3 or 4 Z-gap adjusts to get it right before start the printing. I have noticed that is not the same when the bed is down, that when the bed is up.
Those 3 or 4 adjust ensures that the bed is up and the sensor always performs the same.
Also, as it is a magnetic sensor, try to keep everything still while the adjustment and with the start of the printing. I have noticed a small variance from where I am and where are my hands while calibrating. ( I am not Magneto, by the way...)
Hope this helps.
Have a happy printing....