Blown Print Jet Driver Board

boggieman71

Blown Print Jet Driver Board

Post by boggieman71 »

I was trying to adjust the screw on the board (printer was unplugged) as I saw on other threads on this site. I cant say I even turned is due to my smallest screwdriver was not small enough. I reinstalled the board, then plugged my printer in the wall. Nothing happened. I ensured that the cable leaving the transformer was connected, which it was. About a minute or two after that WOOF, the board caught on fire. It is good that the board is only a $22 part. I have included photos of both sides of the board if that is any help as to what caused the board to smoke.

My concern is when I get my new board, what can I do to ensure that it does not burn as well?'

R/Boggieman
Attachments
Blown Print Jet Driver Board 2.jpg
Blown Print Jet Driver Board.jpg
rantzaus

Re: Blown Print Jet Driver Board

Post by rantzaus »

When changing the voltage setting you have to add an heatsink do to the increased heat from the chip.
gastonfama

Post by gastonfama »

I dont believe the missing heatsing is the cause.
I have read other post that said that the chip has a thermal protection itselft. So it will skip a few step when it is too hot, resulting printing whorse than before...
boggieman71

Post by boggieman71 »

I am aware of the need of the heat sink. I believe I did not even change the setting of the voltage because it felt as if the screw never turned. I checked the voltage prior to the attempted adjustment and it was 1.2v. I never got a chance to measure the voltage again because the unit would not power up. I was going through all the harnesses to make sure everything was connected when the card caught on fire. I hope this clarifies things somewhat.
reds26th

Post by reds26th »

Did you by any chance leave the cartridge bay wire for bay 1 unplugged? I have done this twice and smoked 2 motherboards before I realized it needed to be connected before plugging the machine into the wall. Both times the board smoked heavily and I unplugged it before it caught fire.
boggieman71

Post by boggieman71 »

reds26th,

Thank you for taking the time to respond and your response is well appreciated. Now that I think of it I think the harness you speak may in fact been unplugged prior to plugging the unit back into the wall. As I stated before, adjusting the voltage was only an ATTEMPT. I honestly never felt the screw turn which makes me dismiss any of the heat sink issues as proposed by other members. I only attempted to adjust the voltage only to know what to expect when my heat sinks arrive(they are in transit). Additionally, I never got the chance to verify the voltage again, so you can understand my concern.

I believe what you are suggesting is more plausible and likely than the missing heat sink theory. My question: Is it advisable to adjust the voltage screw with the unit with power so I may see the voltage on my multi-meter? I believe that it would be easier and much more safer to remove the card, adjust, re-install, power up, and then verify voltage. I am no wizard, but I would think that as long as I am not actively printing something, the card would not get that hot.

Additionally, do you know which way turning the screw increases/decreases voltages?

R/ Boggieman
reds26th

Post by reds26th »

I have never attempted to change the voltage on the chip. The machine I use is owned by my workplace. So I had my maintenance guys do that for me. I do not know much about electronics.