Gauging interest: CubeXY

obelisk79

Gauging interest: CubeXY

Post by obelisk79 »

I've started planning a full open source conversion of my CubeX to open source hardware and reconfiguration to CoreXY movement that I am calling CubeXY. All on roughly a ~$100 USD budget.

Is anyone interesting in a rolling build-log documenting my progress? I have most of the hardware already, I'm currently in the design phase as I'm going to be printing several parts to facilitate the conversion to CoreXY.
Giovanni V.

Re: Gauging interest: CubeXY

Post by Giovanni V. »

obelisk79 wrote:I've started planning a full open source conversion of my CubeX to open source hardware and reconfiguration to CoreXY movement that I am calling CubeXY. All on roughly a ~$100 USD budget.

Is anyone interesting in a rolling build-log documenting my progress? I have most of the hardware already, I'm currently in the design phase as I'm going to be printing several parts to facilitate the conversion to CoreXY.
Hi,
I had problems with my Cubex motherboard and as I don't want to give more money to 3DSystems I've decided to go for RepRap.
I've installed a Rumba with DRV8525 drivers and Marlin firmware.
First print yesterday, I'm just at the beginning and I don't would speak too soon but from what I've seen it's much much more easy to find the right set up for the materials, my feeling is that I'll no more loose time trying to find the M227/M228.
obelisk79

Post by obelisk79 »

Hi Giovanni,

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for all of your work with the CubeX and specifically CubeItMod. Great work!

I decided to convert using a RAMPS 1.4 with DRV8825's. I am going to attempt to configure this with TeaCup firmware as I feel it may be better optimized for the MEGA 2560. Unfortunately it doesn't appear I can reuse the CubeX PSU (15V output).

I figured, since I'm going to hack into my CubeX already with the RAMPS, I'd go "all-out" with converting to the CoreXY movement. I like the theory behind the design and I believe it offers some mechanical benefits allowing us to print much much faster... possibly > 200mm/s. If I don't see this much improvement I think it will still prove to be a good educational experience. I'll document my progress and start posting pictures and results as I move along.

-Joe
Giovanni V.

Post by Giovanni V. »

obelisk79 wrote:
I decided to convert using a RAMPS 1.4 with DRV8825's. I am going to attempt to configure this with TeaCup firmware as I feel it may be better optimized for the MEGA 2560. Unfortunately it doesn't appear I can reuse the CubeX PSU (15V output).
DVV8825 looks a good choice, with 1/32 resolution gives more precision, this is specially appreciated on the extruder, the low resolution of the original Cubex is one of the weak points.

With the Rumba I've used the original power supply.

I didn't change the mechanical structure, I've used the original motors, x,y end stop, optical z stop and cubstomone hot end with 230k thermistor.

Let us know if you can print 200mm/s with the Cubex !!!
Giovanni V.

Post by Giovanni V. »

obelisk79 wrote:
Hi Joe,
I've tested today dual extrusion but didn't work, the original PSU didn't provide enough power, I have to find a 150-200W PSU.
Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Hi guys !

What ?? Is it the real Giovanni ? I spend too much time without going on this forum ! You converted your cubex, i cannot believe this !

Why did you all go to marlin where there is some 32bits board affordable ? Mks or duet 0.6 for examples. Marlin or teacup are pain to configure and for marlin lot of problem like safety security with Chinese board... And what about a printer directly on your network !

If you want to go at 200mm/s with your cubex good luck ! Mine with a smoothie can print at 90 100 max with a really low accel/jerck due to the heavy x frame. Also go like me in bowden setup, you can increase your accel.

The only way to convert your cubex into a core xy is fishing line but that an hard work i tried without success. Keep us on news about this.
regards,
Hugues

www.cubexupgrade.com
obelisk79

Post by obelisk79 »

Hi Hugues,

I am going to use gt2 belt fishing line won't be necessary. I will be 3d printing the necessary designs to make the movement work. I discovered today that the KH1228pp bearings used on the frame are too difficult to remove from the rail guides. I will have to order replacements. In the mean time, I have started designing printable mounts for the idler pulleys on the linear guides, I will mount them using the belt clamp holes. I'll post a photo once I have a viable prototype made.

-Joe
Hugues

Post by Hugues »

You will add mass to initial carriage by printing some support for pulley and trying to have same belt, you should try to replace the 2 x rods by a linear rail or you can remove the heavy carriage plate in steel supporting extruding motor to light the mass.
Core XY allow you an print faster but just because it doens't rack the linear motion. To print faster all your printer have to be made for this, more it's hudge, more components are expensive, have to be light, smooth and stiff. Far from our stock cubex.
I can say this because i build one, printing speed can go at 200mm/s, deplacement can go at 800mm/s with 4500mm/s2. But mainly i print near 150mm/s. See my video : https://youtu.be/e3nGm8s3TyA
If you want something like this you cannot start from a cubex, i'm sorry.
regards,
Hugues

www.cubexupgrade.com
obelisk79

Post by obelisk79 »

Hugues, I'm already planning on replacing the linear guides and the carriage. I've ordered replacement linear ball bearings from china and will be printing the replacement parts in carbon fiber filament so it will retain structural integrity. The reduction in overall mass should compensate for the loss in rigidity from removing the metal parts. I'm also going to relocate the extruder so it will no longer rest on the carriage assembly. I just haven't finished designing the parts in cad yet.
Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Ok, that's sound good !
regards,
Hugues

www.cubexupgrade.com