Gauging interest: CubeXY

gastonfama

Re: Gauging interest: CubeXY

Post by gastonfama »

Giovanni V. wrote: I had problems with my Cubex motherboard and as I don't want to give more money to 3DSystems I've decided to go for RepRap.
I've installed a Rumba with DRV8525 drivers and Marlin firmware.
I understand you...
Good luck with the opens source, and thank you for all the great work with CubeitMod...

Regards.
obelisk79

Post by obelisk79 »

Just an update: I'm well along on my conversion, I've taken my time as I have a busy home and work life. right now I've done the basic reprap conversion and am calibrating firmware. After this is complete and I have reliable dimensional accuracy I'll start printing the new y-axis linear guides, stepper mounts and x carriage for the final transition to CoreXY. I have everything ready to finish this but the printed parts.

I'll post a coherent build log once I've got everything mostly functioning. Unfortunately I've not taken nearly as many pictures as I had originally intended. If the conversion goes well however, I may purchase a second CubeX to convert as well where I can document the process better.
gastonfama

Post by gastonfama »

Gooooood

What are your expectations regarding this conversion? What do you suppose that will be improved? Are you planing to change the extruders too?

Regards.
obelisk79

Post by obelisk79 »

I hope to improve the following

Print quality
Easier calibration and tuning
Print speed
Learn new things

I have moved the extruder off of the x carriage and am using a Bowden tube setup. I think that will only be temporary however.
obelisk79

Post by obelisk79 »

My setup looks so much more sketchy, but all electrical connections are sound with clean solder joints and heat shrink. Finally started a test print off 3d benchy hope it measures out well. I haven't really tweaked the calibration yet. I'll be using it in this configuration to print the parts for the CoreXY conversion to finish the mod.

http://sendvid.com/ba4rhmsv <--- short video of it in action. I noticed an immediate and notable improvement in print quality with my normal calibration object. This is the benchy print in its early layers.
pingu

Post by pingu »

A follow up on this would be great!
Giovanni V.

Post by Giovanni V. »

This is a video of my Cubex Duo converted to RepRap :

https://youtu.be/lCmuWdlxsWY