Essential Mods?

obelisk79

Essential Mods?

Post by obelisk79 »

Hi all,

I just acquired a brand new CubeX printer (single extruder) for $200 which I feel was a great price. After researching, I see that poor prints are a common problem with this device. I'm a complete newbie to 3d printing, but have a professional background as an electronic tech so I'm not weak-hearted when it comes to modding. With all of that in mind, what would you consider to be essential hardware mods I should do for quality printing? I'm trying to keep my investment costs down to a minimum. I already have CubeITMod and Kisslicer. I don't want to endlessly tinker with the printer, just make sure I get quality prints so I can start creating new things with it.

Thanks!

-Joe
Giovanni V.

Re: Essential Mods?

Post by Giovanni V. »

obelisk79 wrote:Hi all,

I just acquired a brand new CubeX printer (single extruder) for $200 which I feel was a great price. After researching, I see that poor prints are a common problem with this device. I'm a complete newbie to 3d printing, but have a professional background as an electronic tech so I'm not weak-hearted when it comes to modding. With all of that in mind, what would you consider to be essential hardware mods I should do for quality printing? I'm trying to keep my investment costs down to a minimum. I already have CubeITMod and Kisslicer. I don't want to endlessly tinker with the printer, just make sure I get quality prints so I can start creating new things with it.

Thanks!

-Joe
Change the Z- axis sensor
Increase the V-ref on the print jet board and put a sink on the driver's chip
Feed the extruders from the top
Check belt tension and put grease on the guides
Change the hot end and put a CubstomOne
Heated bed
obelisk79

Post by obelisk79 »

Giovanni,

The cubstom one is very expensive. What difference is there between this and an e3d v6? Just the custom heat sink?
CJWubex

Post by CJWubex »

Absolutely the Z sensor. I went for the optical one. It has changed things completely - I basically never have to worry about the initial Z position.

I also added in Kisslicer the following gcode:

; G4 sets a delay in seconds. Sp 600 for a 10 minute delay before printing
G4 P600

So I spread the glue on the printing plate, press print, and leave it to start printing later on its own. With the better Z-sensor it basically always starts well!
rantzaus

Post by rantzaus »

So far I have made the following mods:

CubstomOne hotend
Belt tensioner
New z limit sensor. I bought from grm products. Very easy to install.
Changed the placement of my filament, so its directly feeded from the top.

Next thing to do:
Increase the voltage. I'm looking for a decent heatsink.
Giovanni V.

Post by Giovanni V. »

obelisk79 wrote:Giovanni,

The cubstom one is very expensive. What difference is there between this and an e3d v6? Just the custom heat sink?
yes