Kisslicer Manual

calinb

Retraction, De-string, Jump, and Trigger Settings

Post by calinb »

Thanks for your efforts to produce a quality KISSlicer manual, Davide! It is very much needed and useful.

Could you please provide a better explanation for the Min jump and Trigger settings in your explanation of the Materials Tab (after fig. 32)? I do not think your explanation of these settings is entirely correct and it omits some important details.

You have:

▪ Min jump (mm): the maximum movement that can be performed without oozing. Longer jumps will
start the wipe process.
▪ Trigger (mm): the maximum movement that can be performed after wipe (if enabled). Longer jumps
will start the wipe AND destring (suck) process.

Kisslicer's mouse-over "hover" tips aren't much better so, some time ago, I inquired about these settings on the old forum. Sadly the link below is currently broken, but this was Jonathan's reply here:

http://kisslicer.com/forum/index.php?to ... 49#msg2549

“So, here is the order of operations. For any given travel, KISSlicer will…

1. request a wipe/destring if the travel crosses (or comes really close to) the surface of the object

2. cancel the request for wipe/destring if the jump Trigger (say you want all travels over 10mm to do a wipe/destring, even if it isn’t close to the surface of the object)”

Here is how I interpret Jonathan's explanation:

1. Unless cancelled (per the Min. Jump setting rule, defined in #2 below), KISSlicer performs a wipe/destring operation whenever the travel (jump) path crosses or comes very close to the surface of the object.

2. The wipe/destring setting is cancelled whenever the length of the jump is less than the Min. Jump setting. (Obviously the behavior with a Min. Jump setting of 0 is no jumps will be cancelled.)

3. The Trigger setting is used to "force" a wipe/destring, apart from the above surface crossing-based scheduling and cancellation rules. Any travel (jump) that is longer than the Trigger setting, even if it does not cross or approach the object's surface, results in a wipe/destring operation.

Hopefully Jonathan will, once again, jump in here, if I am misinterpreting his previous explanation.
KISSlicer user since 2012 (PRO since 2013)!
qboney

Re: Kisslicer Manual

Post by qboney »

I would like to know a concise definition also.
After slicing the same part (appx 20mm custom part) over and over, and reviewing the g-code, both min jump and trigger do work, but i still don't know how.
=============================================================================
min jump set to 0 and trigger set to 0 (should reflect every destring/wipe opportunity in the part)
593 - Destring/Wipe/Jump Found
min jump set to 150 and trigger set to 155 (should reflect every destring/wipe opportunity in the part Cancelled)
Destring/Wipe/Jump Path only occurred at end of print!!!!!!
min jump set to 0 and trigger set to 155 (should reflect every destring/wipe opportunity presented by min jump)
168 - Destring/Wipe/Jump Found
min jump set to 150 and trigger set to 0 (should reflect every destring/wipe opportunity presented by Trigger)
554 - Destring/Wipe/Jump Found

The math isn't clear, or maybe i'm not understanding how/when a procedure is or isn't cancelled.
calinb

Post by calinb »

qboney wrote:I would like to know a concise definition also.
After slicing the same part (appx 20mm custom part) over and over, and reviewing the g-code, both min jump and trigger do work, but i still don't know how.

<snip>
I would certainly welcome additional elaboration from Jonathan. My interpretation of his last post on the matter could easily be flawed (or there could be a bug in Kisslicer).
The math isn't clear, or maybe i'm not understanding how/when a procedure is or isn't cancelled.
It sounds like you have done a good experiment. Your results are inconsistent with my interpretation of the Kisslicer behavioral rules and I agree with you that whatever is actually happening is not easy to fit into any kind of logical, useful, and controllable result. I suspect some aspect of this feature are bugged!
KISSlicer user since 2012 (PRO since 2013)!
Dreide

Post by Dreide »

min jump set to 0 and trigger set to 0 (should reflect every destring/wipe opportunity in the part)
593 - Destring/Wipe/Jump Found
min jump set to 150 and trigger set to 155 (should reflect every destring/wipe opportunity in the part Cancelled)
Destring/Wipe/Jump Path only occurred at end of print!!!!!!
min jump set to 0 and trigger set to 155 (should reflect every destring/wipe opportunity presented by min jump)
168 - Destring/Wipe/Jump Found
min jump set to 150 and trigger set to 0 (should reflect every destring/wipe opportunity presented by Trigger)
554 - Destring/Wipe/Jump Found

Let me guess, your part had about 40 layers? I think the wipe logic works like this:

Wipes can be caused by:
  1. Travel moves that cross perimeters or come really close to perimeters.
  2. Changing to the next layer (which implies 1., but see below).
  3. Travel moves that exceed the Trigger setting.
However, a potential wipe is suppressed if the according travel move is shorter than the Min Jump setting, with one exception: if the wipe has been triggered explicitly (cause 3) and is not followed by a layer change (cause 2), the wipe is actually not suppressed, irrespective of the Min Jump setting. In other words, the Trigger setting trumps the Min Jump setting, except when the wipe is (also) caused by a layer change.
inventabuild

Post by inventabuild »

Hello Davide,

The link to your manual gives a "Page Could Not Be Found" error. Are you still offering it to the forum as a reference?
CJWubex

Post by CJWubex »

I managed to find a version of it here:

http://2015.3ntr.eu/wp-content/uploads/ ... ual_en.pdf
inventabuild

Post by inventabuild »

Awesome thank you.
joestefano

Post by joestefano »

David, do you have a working link for your manual?
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

So, it turns out there was a bug in KISSlicer's logic for adding in the destring/wipe events (specifically NOT adding them when it should between islands). I am doing some more testing right now. I plan to put one last release candidate up here on the forum before officially releasing 1.5 on the website.

Also, Davide and I were just talking about updating the manual for the 1.5 release. I am not sure about the link to the latest version either, but there will be an updated version in the near future.

thanks,
Jonathan
joestefano

Post by joestefano »

Thank you Jonathan. and Thank you for all your HARD work.