KOSSEL XL

pecek.tomislav

KOSSEL XL

Post by pecek.tomislav »

Hello guys,
I am new in topics of 3D printing. Recently I have bought Kossel XL kit and put it together.
I heard a lot of good thing about it and the KISSlicer. I have downloaded it but i have some trouble of setting the KISSlicer to work. Can somebody help me with configuration profiles?

My bed size is rounded, diameter is 250mm but for safety, work part is 240mm and the workable height is 290mm also it is heated and the plate is borosilicate.
My hotend is E3D V6 0.4mm brass nozzle
mhackney

Re: KOSSEL XL

Post by mhackney »

I use KISS on my 9 delta printers. Please describe what problem you are having. You should have no problem using the Printer Wizard to create a new profile for your printer, it takes 1 minute to do. See my YouTube tutorial on how to do it. Your configuration is very simple and the Printer Wizard will make quick work.
pecek.tomislav

Post by pecek.tomislav »

Printer Profile Wizard.
Optional/Advanced Settings -> Nozzle Bore Lenght, Drive lenght, and steps for X, Y & Z. What difference does it make if I enter some value and what should it be?

On the material profile wizard.
For the first few weeks I will only use PLA, from reprap, and after that ABS (1.75mm).
On je PLA spool it is a label and its marked print temp: 190-220 deg C. So what is the optimum print temperature and bed temperature for PLA and ABS from your experience.

Style Profile Wizard is clear, I will leave 20% infill and I know my nozzle diameter (0.4) so this is fine.

Support Profile Wizard
Skirt or Brim?
Do you prefer using a raft? And what is the thing with large parts box?

After that for me it is like super complex.
Can I found some documentation for every box that I can change value, what difference does it make on the same file? Because all of these perimeters are new to me and I don't have a clue about anything.
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

You have an E3D V6 hot end with .4mm nozzle so the bore is .6mm.

Printer
The drive length is as it says in the tool tip. What kind of extrusion system are you using? If a Bowden, then measure the length of the bowden tube and add 80mm and you will be close enough.

Leave the X, Y Z steps empty - watch my video!

Material
Set the temp to 195°C for PLA and leave it.

Support
Watch my video!

no raft, no brim don't worry about large parts, leave it unchecked (you can learn all about this stuff later once you get some slicing and prints under your belt)

Don't focus on "changing every box"! Keep It Simple and start with the Wizards. Do some prints. You will be pleased with how good the results are. THEN you can start to learn about tuning to address specific models and challenges.
hacker

Post by hacker »

mhackney wrote:You have an E3D V6 hot end with .4mm nozzle so the bore is .6mm.
I am confused for a while now… According to this — https://wiki.e3d-online.com/images/3/3a ... LE-ALL.pdf — it is .6mm, but according to this — http://files.e3d-online.com/v6/Drawings ... LE-175.pdf — it's more like .8mm if not more complicated? Guess more recent nozzle are V6.3, that is .8mm?
pjr

Post by pjr »

hacker wrote:I am confused for a while now… According to this — https://wiki.e3d-online.com/images/3/3a ... LE-ALL.pdf — it is .6mm, but according to this — http://files.e3d-online.com/v6/Drawings ... LE-175.pdf — it's more like .8mm if not more complicated? Guess more recent nozzle are V6.3, that is .8mm?
I had E3D clarify this for me; there were two drawings, one showing 0.8 and the other 0.6. The 0.8 is an earlier drawing and the nozzle bore length has been 0.6mm (0.4mm diameter) for some time now.

Peter
John Bamford (E3D Online)

Aug 23, 13:07 BST

Hi Peter,

Sorry about the ambiguity, I hadn't noticed the conflicting drawings. The original link to nozzle dimensions is out of date and the data sheet under the V6 nozzles in the correct one. Sorry for the misinformation. As with the data sheet that you've given as a link, the ratio of A to C is 1.5 for 0.25 to 0.4 mm diameter nozzles. The ratio is different for 0.15 and everything above 0.4.

Kind regards,

John

E3D Support Team
e3d-online.com
+44 1865 892 000
Unit 56 Monument Business Park
Chalgrove
Oxfordshire
OX44 7RW
E3D Online Ltd - VAT # GB 171 0597 15
pecek.tomislav

Post by pecek.tomislav »

mhackney wrote:You have an E3D V6 hot end with .4mm nozzle so the bore is .6mm.

Printer
The drive length is as it says in the tool tip. What kind of extrusion system are you using? If a Bowden, then measure the length of the bowden tube and add 80mm and you will be close enough.

Leave the X, Y Z steps empty - watch my video!

Material
Set the temp to 195°C for PLA and leave it.

Support
Watch my video!

no raft, no brim don't worry about large parts, leave it unchecked (you can learn all about this stuff later once you get some slicing and prints under your belt)

Don't focus on "changing every box"! Keep It Simple and start with the Wizards. Do some prints. You will be pleased with how good the results are. THEN you can start to learn about tuning to address specific models and challenges.
It' bowden. Tube lenght in total is 620mm. 14mm goes into extruder and 33.5mm goes into hotend. So drive lenght should be 700mm?
What about bed temeperatura, should I leave it 42 or set it higher?
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

Peter is correct. In fact, it was research that I did a few years ago that led E3D to change the bore to 1.5 times diameter - they give me attribution on their blog. If you don;t know the bore length, a safe assumption is 1.5 times diameter OR you could do a "cold pull test" to measure it directly.

620 + 14 + 33.55 = 667.5 so if your if those are your measurements, use them. This is not a precise number and being off by 50mm is not going to significantly affect the calibration for long Bowdens like this.

Bed Temperature is literally the only parameter that is nearly impossible to take a swag at since it completely depends on what your print surface is. Here's some guidance for PLA:

bare cold glass: room temperature (set to 15°C)
PEI covered glass: 55°-60°C
Blue Painter's Tape: room temperature (set to 15°C)

Other surfaces - use the manufacturer's recommendation.

Jonathan chose 42° default because, well, the number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything"
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

So, to do the best measurement for DrvLen, you want to know the distance from where the extruder drive hear contacts the filament to the very bottom of the hot end nozzle where it comes out. With your measurements, which are perfectly fine for this purpose, there is actually additional distance above the tube to the drive gear in the extruder and below the tube to the nozzle. That's why I came up with 80mm in my post above.
hacker

Post by hacker »

Thanks guys, luckily, I first read about .6 here on the forum and then seen that on e3d site, and was too lazy to change anything ;-) I don't think I need to do the cold pull measurement, given I have standard e3d nozzle (plated copper for a few days now:)).

As for the length, this is what I measured using not-so-cold pull — it comes out accurate enough (both of my drives are a bit over 500).