INI file locations and permissions in Linux

chuckheron

INI file locations and permissions in Linux

Post by chuckheron »

Hi,
I asked about this in "Troubleshooting" in january, and got no replies.

In linux (ubuntu 14.04) KISSlicer can't find or create the .ini files.
I have the executable in my home bin directory ~/bin/KISSlicer
The permissions in that directory are writable, but when I start KISSlicer, I get a pop-up that says:

Code: Select all

The following INI files are not present (using defaults):
_priniters.ini
_materials.ini
_styles.ini
_supports.ini
I've tried putting copies of those files in the same directory as the executable, no change.

I can close that pop-up, and the GUI starts and seems to work, but when I exit the program, I get a series of 4 pop-ups telling me that:

Error: failed to save _printers.ini. Please check file permissions.
(and then 3 more pop-ups for the other 3 ini files.)

The only other clue I've found is when I do File -> Quickstart Guide, I get a pop-up that says:

Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder [b]file:///KISSlicerQuickStart.pdf [/b]does not exist
This makes me think it's trying to write the .ini files to the root directory ( / ), which is not going to work.
(I confirmed this by copying one of the files (as root) to / and it was no longer mentioned in the start-up message)

I tried the "Choose and Restore Reference Settings" Dialog, and it read my modified '_materials.ini' file (I saw the new material type that I defined),
but it wouldn't save any changes I made in the GUI, and I still got the failed to save pop-ups when I exited.

Is there a default path (besides '/') where KISSlicer should be looking for these files?
Or a way that I can override this path? An environment variable or something?

I would like to be able to load, modify, and save these files, but in linux, saving files to '/' is not a reasonable place (not wise to run programs as root)
To me, a good default location would be:
$HOME/.KISSlicer/

Thanks
-chuck
Davide Ardizzoia

Re: INI file locations and permissions in Linux

Post by Davide Ardizzoia »

Hello Chuck, hope that Lonesock will be able to address soon your problem.

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia
stefan-witbox

Re: INI file locations and permissions in Linux

Post by stefan-witbox »

I also use Ubuntu 14.04,

extracted the archiv, put kisslicer in a folder (/home/user/witbox/KISSlicer_Linux64_1.5beta2.20/)
and started it, i have no problems with ini creation inside this folder or file permissions.
Strange problem, perhaps the permissions get screwed up during extracting.
Best wishes
Stefan